Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DOS On XP Home Not Working

• Please log in to reply

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Hello:

When I open "Command Prompt" from the start menu, the little DOS window appears on my screen with the current path listed. For some reason, I can't get any commands to work in this window. I was trying to ping another machine for some network troubleshooting, but couldn't get that work. It says PING is not an internal or external command. I then tried other old DOS commands I know of, but was unable to get any of them to work. Do any of you have any clue what happened to my DOS and how I can get these commands to start working again? Any and all information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
try start run command.com

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Thank you for the quick response. Unfortunately, what you have suggested did not work for me. The DOS window did appear, but still said that PING was not a recognized command. I was able to change directories only. When I tried to close the window, NOT TYPING EXIT, the program ended in error. Windows stated that the program was no longer responding. Any other ideas?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
What EXACTLY are you typing in the DOS window to try to ping?

Fenor

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
I can't get any of the commands to work. Not just PING, but IPCONFIG, etc.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Try changing the directory to C:\Windows\System32 and then try to do ipconfig, ping, etc....

Fenor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Well since you haven't responded, I'll tell you how to fix your problem, using the assumption that once you changed the directory to C:\Windows\System32 the ping, ipconfig, etc... commands worked just fine.

Download FIXPATH2.ZIP. Extract the files to a folder in C:\, like C:\FIXPATH2.

RUNNING THE PROGRAM:
  • Open a command prompt window, navigate to the location where the FIXPATH.EXE file is located, and run FIXPATH.EXE.
  • It will display some preliminary information, and ask if it should continue.
  • If it successfully updates the Path value in the registry, you will need to
    reboot for the change to take effect.
If you have any questions about what this is doing, then make sure you read the FIXPATH.TXT file that was included in the zip file you downloaded and should now be located in C:\FIXPATH2, or whatever folder you saved it in.

Fenor

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Thank you for your help. That fixed the problem. Thanks,