Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook Express Problem

• Please log in to reply

Comrade General

Comrade General

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
I can't open URL's in an e-mail, though I can copy and paste them, but its somehwat annoying.

Any advice?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Do you get any of these also

When you click a hyperlink in an e-mail message or on a Web page, or right-click a hyperlink on a Web page and then click Open in New Window, you may experience one or more of the following symptoms: • Nothing occurs.
• The new window may be blank.
• You may receive a scripting error message that is similar to the following error message:
No such interface supported.
• Internet Explorer may not respond when you click Print or Print Preview in the File menu.
When you try to connect to Web folders, you may receive the following error message:
The current operation could not be completed because an unexpected error has occurred.

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Do you get any of these also

When you click a hyperlink in an e-mail message or on a Web page, or right-click a hyperlink on a Web page and then click Open in New Window, you may experience one or more of the following symptoms: • Nothing occurs.
• The new window may be blank.
• You may receive a scripting error message that is similar to the following error message:
No such interface supported.
• Internet Explorer may not respond when you click Print or Print Preview in the File menu.
When you try to connect to Web folders, you may receive the following error message:
The current operation could not be completed because an unexpected error has occurred.

When I open an e-mail from Outlook Express and click a hyperlink and nothing happens.

I get none of the other symptoms.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
In Microsoft Outlook Express and in Microsoft Word, hyperlinks appear in underlined blue text, but when you click a hyperlink, nothing may occur.

To resolve this problem, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, click Run, type the following command in the Run dialog box, and then click OK:

regsvr32 urlmon.dll

2. Repeat step 1 for each of the following commands:

regsvr32 mshtml.dll
regsvr32 shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 browseui.dll
regsvr32 msjava.dll

Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

APPLIES TO

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
The computer that runs Outlook Express uses Windows XP Home Edition and it didn't work...

I am doing this for my mom and I told her she could maybe reinstall Windows XP(She needs to do this anyways, her system has been so sluggish since she has bought it) but she thinks a reinstallion will mess it up... And I know it won't. :-/

So any futher advice? Please hurry or she'll start accussing me of the problem.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Some alternatives are:

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD and get a blue progress bar, reboot when the bar goes

If it has not got SP2 then install it

If it has SP2 added from Windows Update, do a repair install, which will remove SP2, along with all the updates, then when you re-install SP2, it will replace Outlook Express

You can use these to repair XP

XP Repair Install

Or here if you are unable to run XP Repair Install

Alternative XP Repair Install Method

Use Windows Installation CD to repair the current installation, from the list, which uses a slightly different method

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

If it is XP Home with SP2 CD the repair option may do it, if it does not, back up her data, prove you have them by running them on another PC then re-install

http://www.theelderg...l_-_graphic.htm

Press esc to install without repairing, press D to delete the existing partition, press L to confirm, format with the default NTFS, do not use the quick method. You need it to create a RAW1 partition on C

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
Oh my god, usually reinstalling Windows XP does the trick, but it didn't!

Any other advice?

EDIT: Resolved.

Edited by Comrade General, 03 December 2005 - 11:06 PM.