Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Frequent "insufficient system resources exist" errors

• Please log in to reply

Suketchi

Suketchi

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
My apologies... There was a previous post addressing this issue here, but the poster never responded with his information.

But every time I run a large RAM program (like iTunes or any online games) for long periods of time, this resources error happens and leaves me unable to open anything else-- including Task Manager. The only way I have found to fix it is to unhealthy reboot my computer. And having to do this almost twice daily adds a lot of wear and tear.

I am running Windows XP and the only major change I've done is install a network adapter. But otherwise, I've scanned, cleaned and checked my drive multiple times and the error still comes up when I try to open simple programs.
Do I have a memory problem..? or could it be a hardware issue..?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, right click my computer, click properties, click advanced, click settings for performance, click advanced, click change for virtual memory, put the dot in system managed size, click set, click apply, reboot

Suketchi

Suketchi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Wow... that was amazingly fast... thank you.
I did so.. should this clear it all up?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
What this does is allow Windows to adjust resources to suit

It will depend on how much ram memory you have installed

I have 2GB which does not allow everything, particularly when working with image manipulation

Click start then right click my computer, on the general tab, at the bottom you will see how much ram memory is installed

Suketchi

Suketchi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Sorry for the delay. I have 1GB of RAM. are there any additional steps I need to take?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You could have bad memory, you can test this with memtest, check it does a few passes then run it overnight

http://www.memtest86.com/

If it passes these tests then you could look to increase the amount of memory

Defragmenting the drive will help

If your PC is set to shutdown when you press the power button, this would be better than the unhealthy reboot

Suketchi

Suketchi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thank you so much!! GeeksToGo is delightfully helpful. ^__^