Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HiJackThis Log.....please look, please help [CLOSED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
How about the answer to question # 2?

Trevuren

Advertisements

RickJames

RickJames

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
i ordered the computer online at Dell.com
i thought they were going to give me a backup disk but i dont have it. so i dont believe there is a vendor close by.
if i go out and buy a new Windows XP Pro disk, would i need the full version disk or the upgrade version just to reinstall everything back on my computer and try to do a restore?
i have almost 100gigs of music that i seriously dont want to loose plus tons of programs and everything.
im willing to go and buy the new disk if that will work.

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
I have been doing some research on your machine and it should have been delivered with a Recovery Disk. If I am correct, you said that yours did not come with any recovery disk?

Well then you have a problem as we both know. I am not sure id Dell uses a proprietary OS disk or what. That is something you will have to find out.

The problem with the repair is that you need EXACTLY the same disk during the repair ATTEMPT as was used during the installation because it asks for registration codes and procedures most of the time.

The other solution is a format and reinstall with a nw OS system disk but, without the proper safeguards you will lose all your data (music) and programs. Your programs can be replaced because you have them on CD but for your music you would be well advised to go to a tech shop and have them download your music for you onto a large HD, install the oS for you, then reload the music onto your system.

I don't see any other options open to you.

Please keep me informed as to what you decide to do.

I hope you can get out of this as cheaply as possible but remember, even if you regain the capability to log back in, your system is heavily dammaged and still very infected.

Regards,

Trevuren

RickJames

RickJames

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
yeah ill definitely keep you informed, i can still get into my computer durring safe mode, but not in normal mode. i might just go head and copy all the music i have to DVD's, eventhough that might take a while i still dont want to loose it. and then just go and buy a new OS disk.
i dont know i guess i learned first hand how Trojans can effect your computer and definitely have learned my lesson about downloading things :tazz:

i appreciate all the help and i will see what i can figure out, looks like i will be spending most of my day burning music :)

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
When you are backing up to DVD or copying, please make sure that your data is properly screened for malware first. No use bringing junk over to the new system.

I will be closing this thread and please feel free to PM me to let me know how everything turned out.

Best Regards and Good Luck,

Trevuren

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
Hey Rick,

Glad you were able to get yourself a disk. Hope your music is all safe.

Please provide me with a fresh HJT log as well all information as to what you can do and cannot do with your system now.

Regards,

Trevuren

RickJames

RickJames

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello Trevuren!!

yesterday everything seemed to work fine after i did the repair on the disk. then when i got home from work today and i tried to turn on my computer it went back and did the same exact thing as it did before. i would start my computer and it would go right to the login screen and just sit there forever and not do anything. so im guessing that im back to square one again.

i was able to do a virus scan on all my files and it said that everything was clean (my music and misc. files)

i pretty much have it backed up on DVD's now so i have a couple more disks and im going to do a full format and re-install the system seeing there is nothing else i can thing of to get this to work.

ill keep you updated, should hopefully be done tonight!!

Thanks again,

Rick

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
I am really pleased to hear that you will be able to save all your music. It makes the bitter pill a little easier to swallow.

Once you are up and running again, PM me and I will provide you with some free protection programs to help you avoid a repeat of this near catastrophic event.

Regards,

Trevuren

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Advertisements