Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading video card

• Please log in to reply

confused234

confused234

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
If I'm in the wrong place please let me know.

My nephew would like to upgrade his HP Pavillion 523 video card to a Nvidia GeForce. I suggested to his father that he could buy him the card for Christmas then I went online to do some searching and even contacted HP. (It's possible that I'm wanting to know more than is necessary :tazz: According to them his computer should be able to handle nVidia GeForce2 GTS NV15/32MB DDR/4X AGP/OEM/Video Card. The reason I question this is because the price on the site they sent me to is only $19.99! Kinda makes me think this is a very old video card ya know cause the price is soooo cheap and my nephew said the one he wants is over a $100. Would this video card work well for the games out today? I also need to know if you can tell me how to find out what the system power source is on my computer and his. (300 watts or 480 watts)

Thank you very much for any/all help.

confused234

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You are limited in what kind of video card you can use. The 523 series computers varied in the slots available. Some have NO AGP slot at all while others of the same model had 2X/4X agp slots. Most of the makers of video cards are no longer producing video cards for the 2X/4X slots. A 2X card thoughtput is 533 Mb/s while a 4X is 1070 Mb/s. If you tried using a PCI slot video card you would only have 80 Mb/s thoughtput.

Playing the newer games requires at least a 128 MB video card. Even these cards can still cause stuttering while playing. You also would need a pentium 2.4( or equal AMD) or newer CPU to play the newer games. These models of the pavilion 523 are just too outdated to play the newest games. I have not seen even 300 watt power supplies in these puters. Most came with a 200 or 240 watt PS.

SRX660