Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Zero Display Service Error

• Please log in to reply

trumpetchad

trumpetchad

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello-

I just upgraded to the ATI 9250 PCI 256MB Graphics card from an old AGP Nvidia card. I went to the ATI website to download the latest drivers (Catalyst 5.11) and when I was installing the display driver (the first part of the install pack), a "Severe" popup comes up saying "Zero Display Service Error". When I go into and check the display driver version (device manager, etc. etc.), it appears to list the most updated version. I'm just wondering why I get this error.

I tried uninstalling everything that had to do with ATI (in Control Panel AND with Driver Cleaner) and I even uninstalled everything that had to do with my old Nvidia card. I did all this in safe mode and then tried to install the ATI drivers again, but had the same errors.

Perhaps the drivers have indeed installed correctly, but I'm just wondering what in the world this error message means and if something didn't install properly.

On a somewhat related note, are PCI cards generally not as fast as AGP cards? I'm a little green when it comes to this and I'm curious if I should have just kept my Nvidia card.

Thanks for your help, you guys run a fantastic site.

Advertisements

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Well, while i can't tell you why it's giving you an error, I can answer your question of PCI vs AGP.

AGP is far, FAR faster than standard PCI, that's why, before PCIE came out, AGP became the prefferred type for graphics cards.

( Speed of course i mean speed to transfer into the motherboard. )