Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gonna Do My First Defrag

• Please log in to reply

The G

The G

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Hey Guys,

I have had my PC since last November and i thought i would do my first Defrag now i have done one on a Windows 98 PC ages ago but cant remember much. So i just have a few questions really.

To some this may sound stupid but laugh if you will i will live with it,lol

1) To make sure its ''Disk Fragmenter'' i use in ''Windows XP Home''

2) Under ''Action'' do i first click and run ''Analyze'' then go to and ''Defragment''

3) Will it delete anything without asking me ?

4) Will it move any folders or files without it telling me ?

5) what does it mean by ''Fragmented files'' ''Contigues files'' & ''Unmovable files''

6) It wont damage anything will it, E.G runnin processes

Right thats it sorry about all the questions just wanna make sure i know what i'am doing.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

1: That's what you use!!

2: You can, but you can just click on "Defrag" as it will analyze first anyway before the defrag process starts..

3: Defrag deletes nothing ever..

4: Not sure what you mean here.. It will move files/folders/bits and pieces of folders into continguous files..
That's what defragging is all about.. It will NOT move a file or folder from it's original location.. i.e.: File in My Documents folder stays in My Docs!!

5: These are self-explanitory: Fragments means just that - bits and pieces of the file located haphazardly on the hard-drive
Contiguous: means they are in order and Imovable refers to files that are required to remain where they are on the hdd (normally Windows system files/folders)

6: No..

Murray

The G

The G

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Hi Murray, thx for replying and thx for answering all my questions thats a great help :tazz:

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
No problem.. Thta's what we're here for!! :tazz:

Murray

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
as far as your questin about running processes....don't have any processes running during the defrag...turn off any live antivirus/spyware/firewall programs, turn off your screen saver...and what not..

The G

The G

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

as far as your questin about running processes....don't have any processes running during the defrag...turn off any live antivirus/spyware/firewall programs, turn off your screen saver...and what not..

Right i see, well i cant turn off EVERY process (i.e Windows.exe) i can turn the ones off i know i'am running like my ''Screen Saver'' and my ''Digital Clock'' and such, though not sure how to turn off AVG and McAfee though even if i just turn off the ''Firewall'' and what not the McAfee process is still gonna run.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Turning off running processes in XP doesn't really matter as XP uses a version of DiskKeeper as their defrag program and it works through that (no shutdowns due to running processes)..

Murray