Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

major problem. help please?

• Please log in to reply

zeroxray

zeroxray

• Pip
  • 1 posts
well first of all...my primary 120 gb died last night. im sending it back to wd in an advance RMA. score! but thats not it....

i was like alright, i'll make my 200gb my primary now and just use the replacement 120 for music and movies and stuff

so i switched the ide cable to make it master, it was a slave before...both drives were cable select
then i got this weird message...cpu is unworkable or has been changed, see soft menu or something so i was like alright, presss f1 to continue...no biggie. then i started running winxp on it and everytthing was cool then i rebooted. then the cpu message came up again then i researched it...and turns out i'd just have to goto my bios setup and load optimized settings then it'll go away. and it did....but then like an idiot, i ran winxp installation again figuring i'd have to...

then it rebooted like normal for the setup, then i got the message.

windows cannot start because following file is missing or corrupt
<windows>\system32\hal.dll
please re=install a copy of the above file

and 3 hrs later, after researching solutions...im at a standstill.
i've copied/expanded (both methods) the hal.dll file from the cd, and also a floppy(downloaded the dll from a site) and replaced it with the one in the system32 file. so yea, still didnt work

i even tried replacing the boot.ini file cause the bootcfg thing wasnt working...all it did was add more entries to it.

and now...i dunno what to do. obviously just replacing the hal.ll file wont work...thtats the #1 solution. i dunno what t do. should i just partition the hd...leave about 20 for windows and do a clean install on that partition so i dont lose any of my stuff??? im soooo confused. help me somebody.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Please read this article on the hal problem. Hal stands for "Harwware abstraction layer" which is used to replace DOS in the NT(ntfs) file system.

http://www.kellys-ko...dll_missing.htm

SRX660