Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NTLDR file missing

• Please log in to reply

nrj0122

nrj0122

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Here's the problem:

I have an old comp. (AMD K63 450Mhz cpu, azza PT-5vmd MOBO) that I'm trying to get working again for second computer in home.

Put in a brand new 250 GB HD-MOBO only recognizes 137GB of that-which I realize the barrier problem but once I can get my HD formatted with the data tools cd that came with it, it should fix that problem and recognize the entire 250 gb. Or can flash the MOBO to update-but no update avail. that I can find so far. Or get a controller card.

Anyway, MOBO recognizes my HD at 137GB and CD ROM-which is good at this point.

Now I need to install a operating system (WIN XP)

After I put the CD in, it states that the "NTLDR file is missing.....press any key" and nothing happens-can go no further with install. But if I put in WINdows 2000 professional cd in it starts up the install process just fine!? How do I fix the NTLDR problem?

I found a few answers on microsoft help at http://support.micro...kb;en-us;314057
but not sure if this is the soultion because if you read thru the resolution section, it sounds like you have to have an older OS on HD already to copy the Msdos.sys file-which I dont have-Mine is a fresh install-nothing on HD yet-no OS on there yet.

Any ideas?

thanks for any input.

Advertisements

Irongeek

Irongeek

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Can you boot into safe mode?

Now I need to install a operating system (WIN XP)

After I put the CD in, it states that the "NTLDR file is missing.....press any key" and nothing happens-can go no further with install.

I would recommend going here found this http://www.computerh...es/ch000465.htm

by using this www.google.com

Your version of Windows XP is messed up. For geek information

NTLDR is Root of the system partition. Also, known as the 'The operating system loader'.
Explains why your getting the error message, :tazz: http://www.microsoft...mc_str_reii.asp

Hope this helps.

Edited by Irongeek, 02 December 2005 - 11:35 AM.

nrj0122

nrj0122

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the response

well, my bios is set up to boot my cdrom drive first-so when comp. starts up, it will ask for boot disk and I put in the XP cd-but then the NTLDR error comes up and I cant go any further-so not able to get to the area which asks if want to run the repair on XP.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Leave the XP cd in and reboot your system.. You should get the "Boot from cd" message.. From there, follow the prompts..

Is this a branded system (Dell, HP, Compaq, etc) ??

Murray

nrj0122

nrj0122

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
The computer is from Cyberpower(came with case,MOBO,monitor,cdRW drive)-got it awhile ago online-1999 I believe-so it's not a name brand-

nrj0122

nrj0122

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Do you think I should load windows 2000 on there first-and then upgrade to the XP? That may take care of the missing NTLDR problem?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you're truly booting from a full xp install disk....then the ntldr is irrellevant....booting from a cd doesn't call the previously installed O/S at all...do as murray said....put the cd in FIRST...then reboot...don't reboot without the cd...that's why it's trying to load windows (hence the ntldr message) because you don't have the cd in there to boot from it.

nrj0122

nrj0122

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
ok-thanks everyone-I'll give that a try tonight.

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
I wouldnt try to install XP on a 450mhz computer however.

Sure, it'll work, but the processor is just too slow for XP to run smoothly.

Take my school's computers. 500mhz, 512 RAM, 10 gig hdd's

Last year they were on 98, worked fine.

This year upgraded to XP... Slow as [bleep].

I'd suggest using 98 for your machine, win2000 tops.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.microsoft...ng/sysreqs.mspx

as long as you meet those requirements...the os will run fine...as long as yo udon't have a multitude of processes running at startup..or at the same time