Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What will go wrong, does go wrong on my computer

• Please log in to reply

Mendy

Mendy

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, I have a computer that is kicking my butt! My C drive is full, it says I have 1.99GB and have used (fluxuates) 1.94-1.96GB, yet my D drive is practically empty. I've gone into "start", "run", "misconfig", "startup" and made sure very few programs are running. I get online, and read email. If opening a photo, computer will say "error" and shut me down, or "not enough memory to open file" and shut me down. Once it shuts down, I reboot, and if I try to get online, it says to close programs as there's not enough memory to open IE or AOL. I have a Gateway, Windows 98, and bought the computer used about 6 years ago. I do not have all the discs, but have some. I'm at my wits end to get this computer working right. I got a digital camera and have downloaded some of the pictures on the computer, but have had to struggle with it. Even though the pictures are on my computer, I cannot view them as when I try I get an error that the file exists but may be damaged. PLEASE SOMEONE HELP!!!

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
One thing that you can try is to move all your personal data to the D drive and free up space on the system disk. When the system disk is full, problems occur.

See how much you can transfer over and then see if the problems still occur.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it's giving you that message because your system drive (c:) is filling up..and the os has no space to breath...move all of your documents and pictures and non program related files over to the other drive...that will free up alot of space....also make it a habit to save all of that kind of information on the d drive from now on

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I might just kick in here, that if your D: drive is just to hold your operating system backup files, as it is on many older machines, you might be better off to get a second hard drive, even a 4 or 8gb one might be better than using the D:. I would reccomend that you check at computer repair places for a good used drive, and ask that it be formatted for your operating system so that you can just hook it up and go.

However it isn't always easy to put a second drive in some computers. What make and model is your machine or motherboard?

Mendy

Mendy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Tyger asked "What make and model is your machine or motherboard?" Please forgive me but I am not computer literate. If I understand your question I have a Gateway computer. I don't understand what you mean by "Motherboard".

I've been told by Gateway I could add additional harddrive but right now $100 is impossible. So trying to find a temporary fix. I have already moved several of my files over to the D drive, made no impact on my C drive at all.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi Mendy

Try this for a quick fix :

I am assuming here that you have at least a few GB of free space left on the D drive.

1. Click on Start->Settings->control panel->system, then click on the performance tab. Click the Virtual memory button. Select the 'let me specify my own virtual memory settings' option, then in the drop down box labelled 'Hard Disk', select the D drive. Click OK out of everything & reboot.
This will move your swap file to the D drive, which should not only free up a lot of space on the C drive but also make the system run better.
Remember, if you notice a file called win386.swp appear on the D drive, do NOT try & delete it! If you don't see this file, it will be because it's invisible.

2. After the reboot, go to Start->settings->control panel->Internet options. In the section marked Temporary Internet files, click on the 'Delete Files' button. When this is done, click on the 'settings' button in that same section. Click on the 'Move folder' button & select the D drive from the pop up list.
Click OK to everything & reboot.

3. Next, open My computer or Windows Explorer & go into the C drive. Open the Windows folder & locate the TEMP directory & open it. Select all the files in that temp folder & delete. Close My computer & empty the recycle bin.

4. The last thing I recommend you do, is defrag the C drive. This should be in Start->Programs->Accessories->System tools->disk defragmenter.