Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

10053 software caused connection abort

• Please log in to reply

goaliepam

goaliepam

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi all. I use mIRC and have for about three years now happily chatting along. In the last two weeks, I have been receiving the "10053 Software Caused Connection Abort" after inactivity (meaning not typing any text into the chat). This happens after approx. 5 minutes of inactivity. I have never had this problem. My only thoughts so far and my only downloads have been the recent Microsoft security updates and possibly something called "Service Pack 3". I have read there are winsock repairs...but it seems odd that it "just started to happen" after years of no problems.

If there is a winsock fix out there...can you guide and direct me to it IF this seems to be the problem. Many of the posts I have read on mIRC's help page are extremely old. I just wonder if its something that was recently changed when I downloaded a fix from Microsoft? Possibly some sort of conflict with a security patch?

Thank so much.

Pam

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
http://trout.snt.utw...mber=5431&page=

that forum suggests that it's just a connection time out....is the error showing up within mIRC....or is it a windows error?

goaliepam

goaliepam

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
It is only in the mIRC status window. It doesn't appear to be a Windows error. It just seems odd that it would suddenly ping me out or rather disconnect me with a 10053 software caused connection abort error after inactivity when I was able to hang about in an open chat window for hours (I'm an op on this particular chat) without pinging out.