Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Google for an OS!

• Please log in to reply

sweft

sweft

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Okay. My friend just had an interview with google for this huge project that they have going. Can you guess? Yes! Google is going all out. I am not so sure how far they are in the project but they are def. working on a OS and I still don't know a name or date.. nothing. She still doesn't know if she has the job.

What are your thoughts?

Sweft

Advertisements

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
I know I'll try it if there is one. :tazz:

They certainly have enough money for research, development, and distribution, and they want to compete with Microsoft, so I guess the question is why shouldn't they? I seriously doubt that it will offer much competition to Microsoft OSes, though, because they have too much of a head start already, and Vista will come out soon too.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Oh dear you are going to be in trouble, because MS and google came to an agreement(not a legally binding one, but still) that google would not develop an OS so if you arent talking crap its some pretty trouble inducing news, MS are not going to be happy.

Besides i love google for searching but they are very invasive i wouldnt use an OS by them, they watch everything as it is, i dont know if any of you guys are using no script for firefox but if you do you will see google analytics can follow you anywhere you go, even here.

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Besides i love google for searching but they are very invasive i wouldnt use an OS by them, they watch everything as it is, i dont know if any of you guys are using no script for firefox but if you do you will see google analytics can follow you anywhere you go, even here.

Acutally, I forgot to install NoScript, so thanks for reminding me! :) Many places are like that now, trying to track more and more personal data. I would just use it out of curiousity (I currently have 4 OSes on my PC, and will add more later :tazz:).

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I've Googled for OSes myself. I put in

"operating system" +free +download

and found lots of free OSes.

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

I've Googled for OSes myself. I put in

"operating system" +free +download

and found lots of free OSes.

:tazz:
I usually just "Google" Linux instead. :)

As I said, I would most likely use it out of curiousity, but (of course) read reviews first to make sure it's OK.

sweft

sweft

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Hmm, I never heard of "NoScript"

But yeah, I don't know about any deals between Google and Microsoft but this is going to be some comp. Everything is supported by Microsoft and they can shut something down by not supporting it. Like I said, I don't know too much but it's interesting to see what's next...

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You probably shouldnt have said anything google wont have want anyone to know about it if it is true and you could have cost your friend their job if it is true and they will be able to track it all back to you and then your friend.

google are everywhere.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Bill Gates is very worried about Google, as he should be. Microsoft is also considering options to make all of it's software free, advertising supported, and Internet distributed -- including Windows. Google is driving the change. Google had growth rates of close to 95% last year. Microsoft's growth was closer 6%.

Google has already partnered with Sun, and is working to improve Open Office and distribute it free (likely ad supported). Office has been Microsoft's cash cow. If Google begins offering a viable alternative for free, Microsoft will be forced to do the same. The same may hold true for an operating system.

Computer systems are getting cheaper, and software accounts for a larger share of the price. People have become accustomed to a free ad supported Internet, and I think there would be wide acceptance of free ad supported software if done correctly (not spyware!). If anyone can do it Google can. Here's a good cNet article on this subject.

It's also long been suggested that Google will offer free, ad supported, broadband Internet. They've purchased huge amounts of 'black-fiber', and have already begun doing it in the city where the company is located. Google and Microsoft have begun offering free email hosting, and I would guess it's only a matter of time until they offer free web hosting. It may not be long before your computer and the Internet is dominated not by Microsoft, but by Google. Judging by their stock valuation, Wall Street seems to think so too.

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Computer systems are getting cheaper, and software accounts for a larger share of the price. People have become accustomed to a free ad supported Internet, and I think there would be wide acceptance of free ad supported software if done correctly (not spyware!). If anyone can do it Google can. Here's a good cNet article on this subject.

That's an interesting idea. However, how would they prevent people from blocking or removing the ads? It's possible for internet ads, so I'm sure someone will figure out how to remove any ads in an OS.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yet companies still pay for the advertising and few peope bother about ads if they arent it their way and google are good at kepping ads out of your way.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Fifteen years or so ago, a computer cost three thousand and an operating systems about fifty dollars, now you can buy a better machine for four or five hundred, but a decent OS costs one or two hundred.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Windows XP + Office can easily top $500, or more than the cost of the hardware needed to build a system for office work, (Internet, word processing, spreadsheets, and email).

Probably the biggest hurdling block for Google is the enterprise user (no, not Star Trek). I really can't see many corporations giving up control of their software to a third party -- especially an operating system. I also can't see them embracing a bunch of advertisements on their employee's desktops. Also, there will always be a large percentage of people willing to pay extra for ad free software. It will be interesting to see what happens.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Its not home users where MS makes its money its the corporate users and thats where windows is most suited, and to companies like that they have the money to pay MS whatever they want and MS do give them good quality tech support(you would hope so for what they pay them).

MS have at least a vague notion of privacy google dont they just expect us to trust them becasue they are a bunch of idealistic middle class modern techno hippies. And there is the whole factor about another company you may or may not be in competition with monitoring the movements of your employees.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
There are plenty of Microsoft bashing threads. Let's keep this on-topic.