Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Deleting Windows XP (because I am, in fact, an idiot)

• Please log in to reply

Danimagus

Danimagus

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I accidentally (yes, accidentally) put an "upgrade" installation of Windows XP Professional on one of my hard drives. So, I'm running with two OS's, which gets to be annoying at startup, having to make sure the proper XP is selected.

Then things went terribly awry. I asked my brother who's a self-proclaimed tech genius how to uninstall Windows XP, because trying to do it through the Add/Remove Programs menu like the Help files say did not work (XP did not show up as a program there). He told me, then, to delete the unnecessary WINDOWS folder on that drive of mine. I asked him if he was sure that would work, and he said he was.

Well, of course, it didn't. I have deleted the OS, but, at startup, I still have the option of choosing to load the now nonexistent OS. If I try to load it, of course, I get an error that causes the computer to restart...

Augh, yes. It's stupid, but maybe it's simple to fix.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Danimagus...

Go to Control Panel and open "System". In the "System Properties" window, click on the "Advanced" tab and then, under "Startup and Recovery", click "Settings". Under "System Startup", in the drop down menu, select the OS you wish to start when you start your computer. Set the "Time to display list of operating systems" to 0 and Click "Ok". Click "Apply" in the "System Properties" window, and then "Ok". Exit Control Panel and restart your computer. Did this resolve your problem?

You may still end up having to edit the boot.ini file, but try this first.

Then explain to your "Tech Genius" brother that there is a little more to removing a second operating system than simply deleting the unwanted Windows folder....he should research the procedure a little more before giving system critical advice. :tazz:

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 02 December 2005 - 07:13 PM.