Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Formatting slave drive

• Please log in to reply

Seamey. T

Seamey. T

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Hi guys,
Just wondering if someone could help me format my old hard drive to use it as slave.
Bought new PC and installed the old "Windows ME" drive but haven't a clue were to begin,the old drive shows up in my computer but that's as far as i dare to go.
My old "ME" system came with a Reload Cd if that is of any help but i some how think that just restores the hard drive to the pre-installed state when i first bought it,ie:software and other pre-installed items,i just want to wipe it clean if that is possible.

I really would be obliged if someone could give me a detailed layout of how to do the above.

My OS at present is XP Pro.

Thank you. Seamey.T :tazz:

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi Seamey. T!

Since you said the hard drive shows up on your computer, I'm assuming you can see it listed in MY COMPUTER. Therefore, right click on the drive (while in MY COMPUTER) and select FORMAT. In the window that appears, make sure FILE SYSTEM is set to NTFS and then click the START button. It will take about a minute per gigabyte of the hard drive, but after that it will be set up as a slave drive which you can use for storage of mp3's, pictures, documents, etc...

Fenor

Seamey. T

Seamey. T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Hi Fenor,
thank you for the speedy reply,u guys are always on the ball.
I am not at home at the moment to give your solution the go ahead but as soon as i get back and set the ball rolling,i will be in contact with you as to how i got on.
Once again,thank you,

Seamey.T :tazz:

Seamey. T

Seamey. T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Hi there "Fenor",
well got the job done today and now have one nice 36.9GB clean slave drive but just one more question or piece of advice to ask of you.
How simple is it to transfer files,documents,photo's and the likes to the slave.
What I mean is,when i transfer those items, are they completly removed from my master drive,
as I'm sure you've guessed,I am not really puter savy,been away from it for a long time and just getting up and running again.

Thanks again,

Seamey.T :unsure:

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
As you suspect, when you move files from one hard-drive to another, the file exists only on the harddrive you moved it to.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Best idea when transferring files from your master harddrive to your slave harddrive is to use COPY and NOT MOVE. The reason being, if something happens while you are copying the files, like the power flickers and your computer reboots itself, then the files that were being moved most likely will be lost. Always best to copy the files over and then delete them once it is verified that they copied over to the other hard drive successfully.

Fenor

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
How very very true.

That's good advice, i do it myself without even thinking about it.

Seamey. T

Seamey. T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Thank you Fenor,
Will start the transfers tomorrow,if i run into any prob's can i get back to you.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

Thank you Fenor,
Will start the transfers tomorrow,if i run into any prob's can i get back to you.

If you have any problems/questions/concerns, don't EVER hesitate to toss a line in this thread if it's related or start a new one!

Fenor