Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

restore sound

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello i have a sound problem. here is some background on my computer. I bought a new computer because I started school. everything was going fine then one day I tried to start it up and it would not completly load the windows XP. ( i think when i tried to download something called Bulldog security, its like Norton securtiy software, that it messed things up) I eventully got that fixed for free at school but ever since it has not run as well.

such as: I had my Norton set up to automacticlly scan for viruses every friday at 8:00 pm if the computer was on, but after i got it fixed it would not do this. when i checked the settings for Norton it says it is set up to do this but it doesnt. But thats not why im here.

what has happen is that I suddenly lost sound. I took the computer back to where I bought it they fixed it and told me that my Sound Blaster card got turned off. so i had sound again then I lost it again.In both cases it happened after i defragmented,clean the disk space and ran Norton. I suspect that when that when I ran Norton and it tells me that "these files are at risk, they should be deleted" that some of those files are related to my Sound Blaster and that when I told it to delete Oops the sound blaster got turned off again.
I tried the system restore and it would not work.

I am not very savvy when it comes to trouble shooting computers. If my Sound Blaster card is indeed turned off is it something I can turn back On. I have the software.

I would take my computer to school and have the tech fix it there but i never had the time and now school is out for break.
any help would be great. :tazz:

Edited by crookedhalo, 02 December 2005 - 11:10 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Would you like to use Creative's AutoUpdate service? AutoUpdate automatically detects updates for your Creative products.

Click autoupdate here

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Ok, first : Uninstall Bulldog, ASAP. I don't know how you managed to install it, but bulldog is designed for Linux OS, not windows!

Second, to reactivate the sound card, that'll be in the device manager.

administrative tools/computer management/device manager

Now, under "Sound, video and game controllers"

look if anything has a yellow exclamation mark to it.

If so, right click that item, and click "update driver"

If that doesnt work, go to the "properties", copy and paste what it says in the "Device Status" box, and post it here so we can know whats going on.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank u both.
I followed your instructions and its working again.
That was fairly simple. i will have to double check how things are when i run Norton gain.
hopefully i wont have to do this everytime i run Norton.
Thanks again.
you both were a great help. :tazz:

Edited by crookedhalo, 03 December 2005 - 12:09 AM.