Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Program too big to fit in memory"...?

• Please log in to reply

xlambx

xlambx

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Yo sup, so like, i downloaded a patch to update my Call of Duty to 1.5, but when i try opening the .exe file, it pops up a cmd prompt for like less than a second. i kept opening it to read the message. "Program too big to fit in memory". Awhile back, i downloaded Need for Speed Underground 2, and it got the same thing. But i figured because the Need for Speed was about 1000mb, my comp couldn't handle it. But the patch is only 35mb, so im wondering why it shows that. Thanks for helping me if you do. and i saw the similar topics thing, i have 1gb of ram.

Edited by Lambert Nguyen, 02 December 2005 - 11:48 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Issue:

Program too big to fit into memory.

Cause:

This issue can be caused by any of the following possibilities:

Partition incompatibility
BIOS update issue
Autoexec.bat / config.sys error
Computer Virus
Software issue
Solution:

PARTITION INCOMPATIBILITY

When installing an operating system and encountering the error "Program too big to fit into memory", ensure that it is being installed onto a partition or FAT that is supported by the operating system. For example:

MS-DOS Can only be installed on a FAT12 or FAT16 partition, not NTFS or FAT32.
Windows 95 OSR1 Can only be installed on FAT16.
Windows 95 OSR2 Can only be installed on FAT16 or FAT32.
Windows NT 4.0 Can only be installed on a FAT16 or NTFS partition.

Additional information about fdisk can be found on our fdisk page.
Additional information about FAT32 can be found on our FAT32 page.
BIOS UPDATE ISSUE

If you are encountering this issue when attempting to upgrade the computer BIOS, ensure the following:

Ensure that the file downloaded from the respected manufacturer page is not on the floppy diskette (unless otherwise instructed). Many times the compressd BIOS file, if placed on the same diskette extracted to, will run out of available disk space and cause this error. Generally, the file downloaded must be saved onto the hard drive and then extracted to the floppy diskette.
If this does not resolve your issue, it is recommended you contact the computer or motherboard manufacturer for additional recommendations and help on successfully running the BIOS update.

AUTOEXEC.BAT / CONFIG.SYS ERROR

If you are experiencing the error "Program too big to fit into memory" when booting the computer it is likely that a line or TSR loading in the autoexec.bat / config.sys is causing the issue.

It is recommended that users running Windows 3.x / Windows 95 / Windows 98 that you ensure the emm386.exe and himem.sys are being loaded. If this does not resolve the issue, attempt to temporarily remark or remove any lines that may not be needed from the autoexec.bat / config.sys.

Windows 95 / Windows 98 users may also want to consider temporarily renaming the autoexec.bat / config.sys. To do this follow the below steps:

Click Start / Settings / Shutdown / Restart the computer in MS-DOS mode.
At the MS-DOS prompt type:

cd\ <press enter>
ren autoexec.bat autoexec.ch <press enter>
ren config.sys config.ch <press enter>

Once the above files have been renamed, reboot the computer to determine if the issue has been resolved.
Note: If you are unable to get to a MS-DOS prompt because of this error message, please see document CHDOS.

Additional information about the autoexec.bat / config.sys can be found on our autoexec.bat / config.sys page.

COMPUTER VIRUS

Verify the computer has the latest virus definition / dat update. Computer viruses can cause this issue or other memory related issues.

SOFTWARE ISSUE

If you are encountering this issue when attempting to run a software program or game and the above recommendation do not apply or resolve your issue, verify with the software vendor or developer if the program has any available fixes / patches or updates for the program.

xlambx

xlambx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
nice..but reading the whole thing hasnt given me any clue to what to do, and i read that from a google search result earlier as well.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you checked for a BIOS update, scanned for viruses and checked for updates to the games you are trying to install

xlambx

xlambx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
yeah i scanned already, the update file for the game is the thing thats the problem. and iono how to check for BIOS update

1234what

1234what

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Just open it up in Winrar. Google for Winrar, download it, install it.
Now, this is a little tricky,
Open winrar program up and drag your file in to the window of winrar. Winrar will open up the file you will see the stuff in it. Just extract to the desktop by pressing the extract button.

If you know what Winrar is then, shortly just open up the file with winrar.

Any questions; reply.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
this issue is due to a corrupted file. For some reason some of the patches that were uploaded, ended up being a slightly different version or corrupted.

the patch I have takes you from cod 1-1.5.

download it here