Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

compaq presario shuts down

• Please log in to reply

coffee5

coffee5

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hello,

I have a Compaq presario 7470 running WIN 98. After the computer sits for a while it shuts down, so to speak. The computer is still running. However, there is nothing on the screen and I can't get it to Wake up. The Sleep mode is off and I set the monitor to never shut off as well as the hard drive.

Thanks

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Things that can cause that commonly are, failure of the CPU cooling fan, or the video cooling fan if it has one, can cause blackout. PSU failure, or chipset problems. Lot's of things can cause it, but these are the most common.

coffee5

coffee5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
How do I check the fans. I hear a fan running so I guess it's working. PSU and chipset problems sound beyond my capabilities although I am willing to give any kind of test a try.

Thanks Tyger. Cool avatar. Love C&A

jpro

jpro

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
hi, I had the same problem and all i did was open it up and push the video card back in, but obviously it may be different on your pc

coffee5

coffee5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I am going to open it up and do that as well as a good cleaning. Thanks