Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Whats the best Browser

• Please log in to reply

maslomejorpati

maslomejorpati

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Really, thats rather odd, especially as when you have it unconfigured it feels like IE except faster and more secure.

I would give it a go with some good extensions they really make a difference, i use fasterfox, noscript, adblock, pdfdownload, flashgot and mouse gestures. And my firefox is a super slick speed demon that is intuitive mouse gestures are fabulous really good on forums like this, And no script really cut down the number of spyware infections by a staggering amount.

FF needs a bit of tweaking for it to be really good, some people dont realise it has things like extensions and skins because IE didnt, but if you spend half an hour to an hour tweaking it you can get it perfect to you. Thats why its so loved by so many its totally flexible.

I got the newsest version,gave it another chance and still though I had a look in most of the tweaks and still after all that Avant is my best browser,maybe u should give it a go specially version 8.02 The best one,all the follow ups aren't as good as 8.02

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I dunno i might, but i have an aversion to IE the rate of infection is just to high for my liking, i used to have to scan my system every week now i only need to scan once a month or even every two months. And from the feature list ive got everything on my FF that it has and it doesnt look as nice as my FF skins ive got one to go with almost every theme for windows now. Ive got FF hacked to go at the max speed ive never been able to get IE to go as fast.

I dont think i could give up my mouse gestures either ive been trying to see if the people that do the plugin for FF do one for windows explorer but i cant find anything, mosue gestures are just so great i go through the forums alot faster now with it.

maslomejorpati

maslomejorpati

• Pip
  • 7 posts

I dunno i might, but i have an aversion to IE the rate of infection is just to high for my liking, i used to have to scan my system every week now i only need to scan once a month or even every two months. And from the feature list ive got everything on my FF that it has and it doesnt look as nice as my FF skins ive got one to go with almost every theme for windows now. Ive got FF hacked to go at the max speed ive never been able to get IE to go as fast.

I dont think i could give up my mouse gestures either ive been trying to see if the people that do the plugin for FF do one for windows explorer but i cant find anything, mosue gestures are just so great i go through the forums alot faster now with it.

I use Avant for 2 years now never had any Spywares,Only the ones I install with freeware Softwares

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Not even opera is that good to keep out everything in a two year period, even with my system secured up the kazba i still get the occasional stuff and short of like ten layer firewall my system is secure as it gets, what are you using to scan your system, Adaware and spybot are what i use to get rid of my non evil ones, there is alot of trivial things like tracking cookies that get through most security because they dont do anything. Major stuff i havent had any you know pop up all the time when i start up the computer or even page redirection spyware since i switched to FF, only rubbishy stuff i get, usually get about 12 tracking cookies picked up from my net wonderings in about 2 months. Depends what sites im going on when im raking for old software on torrent sites or no cd cracks for my games(dont like disks cluttering the place up) i pick up more from those sites.

superjaded

superjaded

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
i use IE on my MS boxes, and fie=refox on my linux boxes, haven't used opera in awhile because of the banners i had to look at last time i used it. as we all know MS products seem to run best on MS boxes, :tazz: so for newbie's ease of use that may be best. I myself prefer linux and firefox is my browser of choice

maslomejorpati

maslomejorpati

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Not even opera is that good to keep out everything in a two year period, even with my system secured up the kazba i still get the occasional stuff and short of like ten layer firewall my system is secure as it gets, what are you using to scan your system, Adaware and spybot are what i use to get rid of my non evil ones, there is alot of trivial things like tracking cookies that get through most security because they dont do anything. Major stuff i havent had any you know pop up all the time when i start up the computer or even page redirection spyware since i switched to FF, only rubbishy stuff i get, usually get about 12 tracking cookies picked up from my net wonderings in about 2 months. Depends what sites im going on when im raking for old software on torrent sites or no cd cracks for my games(dont like disks cluttering the place up) i pick up more from those sites.

I just use the free Microsoft Adware remover,It's really effective 4 me Plus I use Something called CrapClenar daily 2 erase internet cracks,I rarely get popups or Spywares,I don't even keep a realtime protection 4 it,I just scan my Pc every once in a while and the Avant browser on the contrary of IE keeps pop ups to the max blocked,it almost never go passes him

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I woild try something that isnt in beta and get adaware it really is the best you can get for clearing spyware.

sira ulo na manyakiss pa

sira ulo na manyakiss pa

• Pip
  • 4 posts
man firfox really kicks n burns IE and other browsres as$!! ever since i started firefox, i never even thought of goin back to d ever annoying IE..thing i really loved most about firefox is its tab browsing,[i know opera too=tried that one but i love firefox best]..

so yeah count meh in..FIREFOX!!!

Rel

Rel

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I used firefox for a long time but then it hit a rough patch, hubby threw a tantrum and we went back to IE with msn toolbar so I can have tabs. Hubby is just going to have to get over it because I'm putting Firefox back in. He can keep using IE to his hearts content but I'm never using it again. Firefox is faster, cleaner and I don't have to have all that other crap that comes with IE. I only add on what I want not what ms wants me to have. I get almost no adaware or spyware and I feel it is much more secure. I used Opera for awhile but found it to be too 'busy'. Too much stuff I didn't need. Good browser though. Slim Browser is also ok. Just depends on the individual and what you need in your browser. IE is good but it is a target for anyone who wants to spend their weekends writing malicious code to disrupt someone else's life and it has too many security issues for my tastes.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You can get him the IE tab extension, it loads an embeded IE tab into FF.

Edited by warriorscot, 14 December 2005 - 06:02 PM.

Advertisements

maslomejorpati

maslomejorpati

• Pip
  • 7 posts
It's oficial,4 days with Firefox,I want My Avant Browser back,FF is a limited browser,it took away the fun of browsing,It absorbs a lot of the CPU and ram,IT made my living [bleep],I'm uninstalling it.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Really, weird it uses lest resources than IE does, you just dont see what IE uses so you cant tell the difference, even with no extensions it has all of avants features built in. It is good on its own but when you put the extensions in it becomes perfect.

Irongeek

Irongeek

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Whats the best internet browser? IE. Why? IE is more secureable. Gosh, why does Irongeek say that? Simply, because 'IE can be secured with group policies, while Mozilla/Opera/, netscape CANNOT. Therefore, making it more secureable. So before you guys go saying firefox is more secure because it's NOT At least know what your talking about. :tazz:

Edited by Irongeek, 15 December 2005 - 12:08 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
scott...firefox will help on keeping the spyware out (for now)...but...i use I.E. everyday (most of the day) here at work....and i have yet to get anything funky on this machine....the true secret to avoiding spyware is to be smart when you surf...and keep your machine configured correctly....have some firewalls and protection programs...