Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer upgrade - Help needed.

• Please log in to reply

fsb1284

fsb1284

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
You're going to have to spend a lot more to get 2005 technology. This upgrade should satisfy you unless, as i mentioned, you're worried about whether or not you're going to get the highest framerates on the block. Not to mention that with your financial limitations, even the newest hardware you could currently afford would not buy the highest framerates. A PCI-express motherboard, dual graphics cards and a dual-core CPU, and the fastest DDR memory are what you'd need for the fastest gameplay, an that's not going to happen for under 800-900p.

I do, however, STRONGLY advise you not to get this power supply. The Antec PSU I linked two in my last post is going to be better. I learned my lesson about cheap-o power supplies the hard way. Now I'll probably be asking for an Antec for Christmas :)

I think that you'll be so amazed by the nice widescreen monitor and the increased performance you'll get from the graphics and processor upgrade that you'll be happy with the results for a good year or even two. Even then you'll have the ability to pack that motherboard chock full of RAM. For me, anyway, the time to scrap it all and get a new system is when you can no longer upgrade the RAM :tazz:

Advertisements

ecnalav

ecnalav

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
So shall i get these 3 products

ATI Radeon All In Wonder X800GT 256MB DDR3, 8x AGP, DVI, VIVO, Analogue Tuner, FM Radio and Remote.

AMD Athlon XP 3200 (400MHz) oem Barton Core

Acer 8ms Widescreen AL1916W 19" 500:1 Multimedia Monitor - Silver & Blaci

And a good PSU

These are all compatible with my system yes ? there good and will last me for a year or 2. And will be easily installable ?

Yes / No

All i need is info on these 3 products and to know wheather or not they r compatible, wheather or not if they are good and stuff like that. Am i making a good choice? And is this the best things i can get for my money?

Edited by ecnalav, 05 December 2005 - 09:33 AM.

ecnalav

ecnalav

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
???

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well the PSU is quite crap the golden rule on PSUs are you get what you pay for its not worth frying your system for a vheap PSU, i would look on overclockers.co.uk they keep the best selection of quality PSUs. They also have that gfx card a couple of quid cheaper.

You wont need a 600W PSU you want need more than a 400W really if its a good one.

ecnalav

ecnalav

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Ok, but u still did not answer my question
---------------------------------------
So shall i get these 3 products

PowerColor ATI Radeon X850 XT PE 256MB DDR3 VIVO TV-Out/DVI (AGP) - Retail (GX-043-PC)

AMD Athlon XP 3200 (400MHz) oem Barton Core

Acer 8ms Widescreen AL1916W 19" 500:1 Multimedia Monitor - Silver & Blaci

And a good PSU

These are all compatible with my system yes ? there good and will last me for a year or 2. And will be easily installable ?

Yes / No

All i need is info on these 3 products and to know wheather or not they r compatible, wheather or not if they are good and stuff like that. Am i making a good choice? And is this the best things i can get for my money?

Edited by ecnalav, 05 December 2005 - 10:04 AM.

fsb1284

fsb1284

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
All of these things will work well with your system! The video card and processor you've picked will shupercharge your gameplay for a good year or two. And that monitor is going to be spectacular.

One thing though. You've referenced THREE grpahics cards:

1. PowerColor ATI Radeon X850 XT PE 256MB DDR3 VIVO TV-Out/DVI (AGP) - Retail (GX-043-PC)

2. ATI Radeon All In Wonder X800GT 256MB DDR3, 8x AGP, DVI, VIVO, Analogue Tuner, FM Radio and Remote

3. Connect3d Radeon X800 XT 256MB DDR DVI VIVO AGP - Quickfind code: 90398

All of these cards will do great things for your gameplay, but only the second will allow you to watch TV and listen to FM radio. Both the second and third will take a video signal from a camcorder or VCR for video editing purposes. The first is simply a graphics card that can display an image on a TV or a monitor with a digital input (which, by the way, the monitor you've chosen does not have-you'll use the card's standard VGA out port). So the your choice ought to be dependent on what you do. All of these cards have the same great processor and memory, but the latter two have extra circuitry for extra features that will add more cost.

Do you or do you not want these extra features? If yes, go with either two or three. If no, go for one.

As I and warriorscot have said, though, you'll need a good, brand-name PSU. I know the following will be more than you probably want to spend, but you do get what you pay for in a PSU. If cost is REALLY an issue, a 400watt Antec model might work.

Click on this EBUYER link for a "good" PSU:

Antec 550watt PSU

Edited by fsb1284, 05 December 2005 - 01:19 PM.

ecnalav

ecnalav

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Thats strange as the first graphics card with the least features is the most money!?

I would like to watch TV. But would i need to plug like a cabel connection into the card to enable that feature? Or will it just like work automatically.

Im thinking about going for card no#1. Since it seems the best in my eyes. But if card 2 is exactly the same power & everythin and has TV feature and stuff and its cheaper i might as well go with that.

But ive been talking to some people, and they have said even updating all my old stuff to this new gear. I wont have much of a diffrence in speed and stuff, maybe higher res in games, and lil more FPS. But nothing major. This is making me think wheather or not doing this is a waste of my money ?

fsb1284

fsb1284

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
My mistake. The first card did have video input capability. But the second is the only one with the TV connection. You must get #2 if you want the ability to watch TV-and this would require a direct connection to your house's TV line.

And yes, there is and advantage to buying a new system. You'll get the highest framerates on the block. Unfortunately, that's not going to happen without 875-1000p. And I was under the impression that you were working in the 600-700p range.

Personally, I have upgraded my four-year-old PIV system with an ATi Radeon X800PRO 256MB graphics card, a 2.5GHz PIV chip, and 1GB of 800MHz RDRAM- all "old-tech". Yet my brother still comes upstairs to play Battlefield II and HalfLife II on this machine because it's so good. No, it's not the latest Alienware $3000 US system, but it gets the job done.

ecnalav

ecnalav

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Yeah i no what you mean. You think card card 1 is a good choice. its about £230 but for some reason seems the best to me. Since its like 850, an upgrade from 800. You aree ?

New new screen
Card1
AMD athlon 3200+
Good psu

Seems good choice? Which card would you go for, 1,2,3 ?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The x850 is the fastest out of that generation of cards, it doesnt have the TV features but you can get them with those features if you shop around.
How much are you paying for the monitor it pays to shop around with monitors check out amazon and ebuyer and read reviews one monitor isnt as good as the next even though the spec list is the same.

If you arent a really serious gamer then you are as well saving the money and getting the GT but if you can get an all in wonder x850 then i would go for it, it would be the best card that you could possible buy for that machine.

This will be the last upgrade to that PC, and the card you wont be able to transfer to your next machine as AGP is know obsolete and they dont make any new AGP kit.

Advertisements

fsb1284

fsb1284

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
If you want to watch TV (and run a TV line up to your PC), go with 2. Get 1 otherwise.

The X850 card is a step-up, but it won't allow you to watch TV. Here's what you'd have to do to watch TV with card 1:

KWORLD TV TUNER CARD but I digress...

ecnalav

ecnalav

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Ok, looks like ill be going with card 1 - to the reply above this. I agree but im over budget as it is. And i cannot afford to spend more money on a new mobo. Hopefully after this upgrade i will be ok for 1 year or 2. After that i will have enouh money to have another major upgrade. With the latest and greatest gear. Ok ? So you all agree

My new screen

gfx card - Number 1

A good PSU

Processor ( AMD athlon 3200+ )

Seem good, last me a good few years, gaming, and everything. You no what i mean ?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well if you are still after the TV features there are plenty of the x800xl all in wonders about not quite as powerful as the x850 but not that much off, it will last you a while, i would read some reviews on the monitor though make sure its the best to be had for the money.

ecnalav

ecnalav

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Its biggest, cheapest, multimedia 19inch monitor i can find = £175

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well i would make sure you look around its probably completely useless acer are good but you might want to look around a bit and definateley read some reviews buying a monitor is a tricky business, just because a monitor looks good on paper doesnt mean it actually is good.

PS i looked at that monitor it has a very odd resolution which may or may not cause you problems and it doesnt have the best contrast ratio.

Edited by warriorscot, 05 December 2005 - 02:56 PM.