Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer upgrade - Help needed.

• Please log in to reply

ecnalav

ecnalav

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
yeah i was thinking that. Maybe the res. could cause some probs with gaming on diffrent size's. Maybe i will have to have alook around for somethin diffrent. Myabe downsize to a 17''inch.

But apart from the screen.

the x850
the amd athlon 3200+
good psu
maybe a diff screen

^ ^ ^ Thats what im gettin right ?

Heres a screen ive found. Allthough no multimedia speakers in built aspect. Its cheap and reviews are excellent 300+ reviews of 5 * excellence. Allthough i did want a inbuilt speakers. But nevermind. Seem good to u guys ?

If yes, then looks like its final. My final 5 products will be :

The new screen
The x850
The amd athlon 3200+
And a nice Good 500w PSU

Everything seem good to you guys ?

http://www.ebuyer.co...oduct_uid=83914

Edited by ecnalav, 05 December 2005 - 03:59 PM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well i can reccomend the monitor, as i bought it myself(excellent monitor, see if they have any that come with the free game it was actually cheaper than without the game when i bought mine, it was splinter cell chaos theory i got with it but i havent played it yet).

You actually dont want speakers they are always useless and often dont work at all. For the PSU anything above 400W should be fine, if the x850 is the card you want then i would get it.

fsb1284

fsb1284

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
The Samsung monitor looks better than the Acer. Samsung, I believe, makes its own LCD panels. This is a good thing.

I'd get this power supply (click to go to it on EBUYER):

Antec NEOHE 500watt

IT'S WORTH THE EXTRA MONEY!

Edited by fsb1284, 05 December 2005 - 06:06 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Correction Samsung makes everyones LCD panels, amost ever single fast response time monitor on the market is made using identical samsung panels, the only difference between them is the electronics and the general build quality.

ecnalav

ecnalav

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Ok, ill try get them all, having difficulty with the CPU - out of stock and no longer on ebuyer. No socket A on www.overclockers.co.uk - ill have to have alook around. But id much prefer to get most things from one sight, as i dont want to be paying lots of P & P charges.

fsb1284

fsb1284

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
eBay is a great way to go for used older-tech processors-just make sure it hasn't been overclocked before

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah they dont make them anymore so its very difficult to find a shop online that still has any new ones, overclockers sold the last of the ones they had left months ago and they had them longer than most shops.

I usually reccomend against Ebay but you dont have much choice on that front, it wont be to cheap either the old cpus are at a premium now as people dont want to upgrade their mobos to get a new CPU, especailly people with good AGP video cards that cant afford to go get a new PCI-E card.

fsb1284

fsb1284

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
I have been VERY satisfied with both of my eBay processor purchases. Keep in mind that sacrificing megahertz for availability might play in here. Settling for a 3000+ instead of a 3200+ may allow you to retain funds for more memory. Don't forget- the processor isn't everything!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Its not everything but its quite important, i reccomend against ebay as you dont get the same level of protection and warranties are still guaranteed to be intact, alot of companies when you go to RMA something want to know where you bought it and they can refuse to service a second hand part. And then you arent guaranteed to know the true history of the part in question.

Processor speed in your case is important as you arent going to be replacing that CPU as it is as good as its going to get and you want the system to last as long as possible.

fsb1284

fsb1284

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Realistically speaking, though, it is going to be VERY hard to find a 3200+ chip if that's the highest chip for that particular chipset. Not to mention that it's going to be VERY expensive. I was merely suggesting that by buying a 3000+ chip and taking the money saved by not buying the one 3200+ chip left on the internet stores and buying lots of RAM, the buyer would be equally happy.

Again, I'll use my system for reference. I have a socket 423-->socket 428 upgrade for my Intel D850GB motherboard. There is, supposedly, an available P4 3.0 GHz chip running at 400MHz FSB that will work for my system. Would I benefit more from upgrading my current 1GB of RDRAM to 2GB and living with a 2.7GHz P4, or keeping my current RAM quantity and emptying my bank account to buy the last 3.0GHz P4 on eBay? I'd take the former case, hands down. And at the same time I'll reassert that I've had the most dramatic increase in gameplay performance after I've upgraded my RAM and my GPU, not my processor.

Running a 1700MHz Sempron and then upgrading to a 2800 or 3000+ Athlon XP is going to be a spectacular performance increase. I'd argue that it is going to be enough to satisfy this buyer for the next 18 months to two years. Unless you (the buyer) are going to be disgruntled by having to knock the Half Life II or the Battlefield II grpahics settings down a few notches (which, by the way, you'd still have to do to some extent with the newer-tech stuff you could afford at your budget), buying an AMD Athlon XP 2800 or 3000+ and a little more RAM (let's say, an upgrade to 1.5GB) will satisfy you.

And again, I'll assert that if one shops CAREFULLY on eBay, he'll find a good, used processor. I've bought two and sold two on eBay myself. One just has to be cautious.

Linked here is one example.

Edited by fsb1284, 06 December 2005 - 02:36 PM.

Advertisements

ecnalav

ecnalav

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Ok - Ill get everything ordered. And see if i can find a nice 3200+ cpu on ebay and maybe buy another stick of ram in a few months when im not as dry. Thanks for you help guys.

Does this look ok ?

Is it compatible with my Ram & everything ? I mean its alot of money!?

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...1QQcmdZViewItem

I cant belive this! I started with 300-400 pounds max! Now im at £580, not plus about £20 P&P - im going to have to go for a cheap PSU 10pounds one. I dont even know if i will get away with this!? Im starting to regret even getting into it!?

Im just hoping, 1 i can get away with it, 2 its worth it!

Edited by ecnalav, 06 December 2005 - 04:55 PM.

fsb1284

fsb1284

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
This is a good find! But, it is also a power hog! Don't worry about a RAM upgrade if you are indeed going to buy this baby. You'll need a good power supply and a good cooling heatsink/fan as well. I know you're overbudget, and that is why I've been trying to get the point across about the fact that the highest megahertz is far less important in your particular situation than a reasonably priced CPU, a good power supply, and all the RAM you can afford.

My advice:

look for a 2800 or 3000+ and a good PSU, then buy the rest of the stuff we discussed.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well when it comes to those chips especially in the UK they are all going to work out not to different in price when buying from Ebay.

But you have kinda let yourself get ran away on the budget, the x850 isnt a cheap card, and to be honest it will give great performance but its not like you really really need it, and it doesnt have the all in wonder, i would say get the x800GT all in wonder or the x800xl all in wonder if you have to, but for comin on 600 you could get a new socket 939 64 bit system for that easily. Upgrading can often be expensive when compared to upgrading some systems.

You might consider just buying the monitor and building a whole new system in a couple of months a 939 PCI-E system will last you a long while and it will be much easier to upgrade in the future.

My base unit now would cost in the range of 600 quid now and i spent extra on some extras that werent essential. Like i said you are gonna pay through the nose for even a 2800+ athlon for your current system.

PS the barton is the one of the oldest of the many core types you can get.

Edited by warriorscot, 06 December 2005 - 05:50 PM.

fsb1284

fsb1284

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
warriorscot brings up a good point. I forgot for a moment that you were getting the x850. Getting an x800 should allow you a little more cash. But then there is the question of the CPU. I'd check all of the reputable online stores for 2800+ CPUs. eBay looks promising, but you'll have to bid:

2800+'s on eBay.

warriorscot definitely has a legitimate point about the "crossroads" you stand at (To upgrade, or to replace?), but I know you're already overbudget, and I know that I would personally be dissatisfied with mediocre "new" technology, which is what you'd be getting at your budget. Personally, when I buy new, I buy the most expensive equipment I can possibly afford. We're talking 800-875p, here.

In my opinion, for the budget-minded consumer such as yourself, getting a new motherboard now would ensure that you'll be in the same situation in 18 months to two years from now. The "modern" equipment you'll be able to afford is not going to work with the newest advances in technology, like dual graphics processing, the newest types of memory, and the newest processors. Not to mention that there is a battle going on between Intel and AMD over the very formfactor your system will use tomorrow. Your "big" money will be best spent on a system two years from now. This comparatively "little" upgrade will WOW you now and until that time.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Buying the biggest most expensive isnt the way to go though, its buy little and often it works out cheaper. My system isnt top of the line and it wasnt when i built it, its still a flyin machine that can play every game i own on full settings(all the good new ones). Its best to buy one generation behind the current technology, the parts are still in mass production and it has all the good technical developments, and you arent paying a premium for parts in demand.

You dont need to buy the best and you dont need to buy the fastest.

To show what i mean, a slightly bigger version of my system with a x850 and 2gigs of rams, with case and power supply will cost 591 pounds now, and i could probably work the price down another 50 quid if i shopped around. So get your monitor now and see what you can do in a month or two, no point paying over the odds to upgrade a system thats going out the door. Especially when good modern hardware is so cheap and it only gets cheaper, for the same money i used to build this system i could have a built a faster machine and its not even 6 months old, the X2s and the release of the x1000s from ATI have really pushed down prices recently.

You really dont need to worry about dual gfx cards or new memory types(AMDs still use DDR and will until the next socket type which is near identical to the one we use know anyway. And there wont be a move to the new BTX form factor for another 3 or 4 years at the rate it is going and even then it will still be only optional.