Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer upgrade - Help needed.

• Please log in to reply

ecnalav

ecnalav

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
So , i should stick with a monitor.

What about a bare-bones kit ?

Buy a bare bones system ? Try find a nice one, nice case, nice PSU, nice CPU, nice Mobo. And with the extra money left over maybe a nice GFZ card. ? And i can add my good ram and stuff from my current computer to it ? That sound a good idea ?

Or should i just get a screen for now ?

If you think a brebones kit, is a good idea. And adding my decent stuff to it then to save more posts and waiting for replys...

www.ebuyer.com - You guys could find me a good one, between 200-300 £ range if oyu think a barebones kit is a ood idea. Maybe a lil higher if its a really good system. As i dont really know what im looking for and whats good, but i have had a look around in my price range and seen what seems like some good ones PCI-e, and stuff like that. Check it out see what you have found for me :tazz:

Edited by ecnalav, 07 December 2005 - 08:03 AM.

Advertisements

fsb1284

fsb1284

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
How about 600p minimum, unless you want to sacrifice performance. I've read reviews on PCI express and it is not that great a speed advantage over AGP- games have yet to take full advantage of it. You won't have very much at all after buying all of this new equipment, and will end up with a bargain-basement graphics card that will disappoint you.

One thing is for sure- you probably DO NOT need a new case. Unless it's really flimsy, simply upgrading the power supply will make your current case suitable for an upgrade. I am still going to argue for the case of upgrading your current system. Again, i will emphasize that I faced the same scenario this past summer.

I had:

an Intel P4 1.7GHz

384MB of PC800 RDRAM

an ATi Radeon 9200 256MB DDR Graphics card

I priced everything, and spent about $400-500 US upgrading to a gig of RDRAM and the ATi Radeon X800PRO. I was very satisfied. I did not want to spend $800-900 US on a new homebuilt system.

Sure, there were cheapie barebones kits and motherboard bundles, but these were total crap. The reason I advocate laying a lot of money down for a motherboard, as opposed to what you'd be doing-settling for some mediocre outfit, is that I've had nothing but good experiences regarding reliability and compatability with my expensive Intel motherboard that I probably "overpaid" for.

The "value" power system my father built for himself four years ago this January is exemplary. He got what seemd like a good deal on a first-gen AMD Athlon XP-compatable SOYO Dragon Plus! motherboard. It works reasonably well today, but has given us a few compatability issues along the way. The biggest, most annoying issue is that when trying to upgrade to a better audio card, we learned that the inferior Chinese-designed chipset used in this board was built for value, not for compatability, and so we could not upgrade to a Creative SoundBlaster Live! card as desired. That is the sort of thing you'll run into if you settle for a cheapie system at a time when you've very little money.

If you can wait for a better system, more power to you. Or you can buy a 2800+ (like I mentioned) on eBay and then buy the other components we've discussed. But do not buy an all-new system now- you probably don't have the money for the quality components you'll really want later on. I do not know if you work in the summer, but if you do you could bank your money now and then save up more for a killer system which you could buy next July/August.

ecnalav

ecnalav

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
The bare bone kits on ebuyer looks good. They have good motheboards. 64 bit technology PCI.E technology. I dont see why its such a bad idea ? There good, stylish and cheap. 300-400 pounds i could get a really good one. Sell all my old computer make 100-200. and im away. To me it seems like a very good idea.

and if i have a couple of hundred left over i could buy the ati x850. And im sure with my 1.25b added, and a nice CPU ( which i will have alot more choice with buying diffrent ones with a new mobo ) Ill be away!

And my case is very flimsy cost my £30, horrible, doesnt match my CD-RW drives. Huge, dusty, and came with a crummy PSU which didnt work anyway. Id really like a nice stylish case like someof the barebones systems have. But if its such a bad idea. Obviusly ill go with you guys and do whats best. But i really think its worth thinking about.

Edited by ecnalav, 07 December 2005 - 09:12 AM.

ecnalav

ecnalav

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Im looking though some now. They do look very promosing...

but like i said you guys are the experts. You no what ur talking about.

fsb1284

fsb1284

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Are the cases and power supplies name-brand? What kind of graphics are you going to be able to afford? A cheap PCIexpress card is not going to outperform a top-of-the-line AGP card. And 64-bit technology is relatively useless to today's gamer. If you buy this now, I can promise you the following:

1. You'll be running the risk of getting a cheap-o case and power supply. They look flashy, but what's the story about the guts of all of that stuff? Throw me a few links and I'll tell you about each system.

2. You'll be settling for something that is going to leave you disappointed eighteen months from now. You'll probably end up having to settle on a cheap graphics card and a smaller amount of RAM than you really need. And what about a hard disk? Would you really get 100-200p for a system without a hard disk? Or were you going to buy a new one? More money!

3. You'll have to reload the OS and all drivers. This is not hard but it is time consuming. And I believe you'll have to buy a copy of Windows XP for 64-bit machines-more money! Do you want to have to do that right now?

You're probably saying to yourself, "I'm so close to the price of buying all new stuff, why not take the plunge now?" But I'm telling you-these barebones are bare-bones. There's a lot of extras that you'll probably have to buy along with the barebones. And if your financial situation is as you've described, you're going to have to settle somewhere, and that is going to eventually equal disappointment. If you want to go all-new, I'd wait until my wallet got fatter.

Edited by fsb1284, 07 December 2005 - 09:31 AM.

ecnalav

ecnalav

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
This one seems great. Remeber i wont have to buy extra ram, i can swap bits from my old system! for example RAM, fans, ect,ect.

Also i can add my old HDD to it hopefully. So no extra cost there.

You say id be dispointed 18 months donw the line. Maybe. But i would be with the things i was going to buy b4 i thought of a barebones. So it makes no diffrence.

heres the one im looking at at the moment... and intrested in...

http://www.ebuyer.co...oduct_uid=90605

Edited by ecnalav, 07 December 2005 - 09:46 AM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I would say save your money up and you can build a great new whole pc around $1000 us dollars. You seem like you dont know what you want...

It no use to keep on upgrading a system that is already out of date like a amd athlon socket a board.

If you just save your money and get 1,000 saved up, you can get a whole new system with all new parts, new technology and it will last alot longer.

Up to you.

Just my opinion.

ecnalav

ecnalav

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Exactly, by buying the barebone kit (URL Above).
I will be gettin a new system for under £500,

The barebones kit has good features and will look very stylish and good on my desk. Also it has some of the latest technology which means in the future i can update it. Which i could not do with my old mobo since it was very out-dated. Also i could add my HDD, RAM, and other components from my old computer to the new one. Which with my 1.25GB of ddr 3200 ram will fly! And with the rest of the computer i can sell my screen and any other usefull components on ebay, and to friends. Which will re-gain my some money from buying the new computer.

Edited by ecnalav, 07 December 2005 - 09:59 AM.

fsb1284

fsb1284

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
I am VERY wary of these "micro" systems. They don't have the expandability of a full desktop. It sounds like you want to go new. But there's still the issue of the Operating System-buying Windows XP-64bit. The power supply is also wimpy on this unit. Wait until you have more cash!

ecnalav

ecnalav

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Whats stopping me from buying a new PSU for it ? And i no a friend with windows 64bit. So seems fine to me. But do i have to have windows 64 bit ? It supports other CPU's which are not 64 bit. If thats a problem of yours. I could still get an athlon xp 3200+.

I really dont see any problem in it. And dont want to wait. I dont think there is any need. But like i said ...your the boss.,

But Come on!!! I can tell you thinks it good theres nothing wrong with it!. But you just dont want to admit it! lol. I think it will be a great Computer

Edited by ecnalav, 07 December 2005 - 10:42 AM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You dont need to get 64 bit windows i would actually advice against it, its better than it was when it was released t5he supprt for it though still isnt great.

Barebones is quite a good way to go for a cheap system that you can stick in the living room, most people dont need the full expandibility of a large desktop system and would rather have the small size.

I dont know what FSB is smokin when it comes to PCI-E its a huge advantage over AGP, its double the speed and can supply a larger amount of power than AGP, then you have the obvious advantage that they dont make new AGP cards.

If you want to spend the money and get a new system i am all for it, i personally dont like spending a 100 pounds on a top of the line system because i know im just going to have to replace it and if i have paid 300 pounds for a part im not going to want to throw it away. pick the other parts you want for it, shop around for barebones kits some are better than other and alot of the new ones have heat pipe technology in them which helps reduce the over heating you can sometimes get with a barebones.
Overclockers used to be good for barebones kits.

If you are up for it i would say go for it, and the ram you have now is absolutley plenty and the proper speed so sounds good to me, if you get a good all in wonder card you have a perfect multimedia PC for the living room, and you could get windows MCE2005 its cheaper than normal XP but basically is XP with new skin and some better multimedia features and a remote control compatibility.

fsb1284

fsb1284

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
These things use a mini ATX motherboard and a special power supply. There's a reson they're so "affordable" while being new equipment. And yes, you'd have to buy Windows 64 bit to make everything work well.

By the way, installing a your friend's licensed copy of Windows XP-64bit so long as it is on his machine at the same time is called PIRACY. Don't do it.

Here's what I'd buy if I wanted all new stuff:

ASUS A8N-SLI Premium skt939 nForce4 Gigabit Ethernet Firewire 8channel audio 098587 58 £99.16

AMD (Venice) Athlon 64Bit 3000+ Socket 939pin 512k L2cache 90nm Retail Boxed Processor 088105 34 £82.27

Gigabyte (GH-PCU31-VH) 3D Cooler-Ultra 090448 8 £27.30

Antec PSU True Blue 480w Blue Led Fan 043567 114 £43.04

Sapphire X1800XL 256mb 256bit GDDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI/VIVO 097761 *7 days £202.25

Total: £542.19 (incl. VAT and P&P)

I guess it's not that expensive to buy new. And this would, of course, be installed into your current ATX case. The graphics card I've referenced is top-of-the line. The only thing better is a 512MB card, and that itself would require 375-400p-if you could find one. This board would in fact allow you expandability and give you more-than-adequate performance at this time. These mini-systems are not nearly as expandable as a full system and you will be getting an inferior power supply with this system. Ever think about heat management?

This is a system for someone who uses a PC for web browsing, watching DVDs, and playing music. It's not for gamers. Why would Shuttle even bother to make full ATX boards if there wasn't a market for them?

Edited by fsb1284, 07 December 2005 - 12:49 PM.

ecnalav

ecnalav

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
What i want to do, if you guys agree. Is to do this

Buy this barebones kit

http://www.ebuyer.co...oduct_uid=90605

Add a nice new GFX card for it

And a nice CPU

And a nice PSU which can handle it all

Then i have a nice small system. Which will me mega powerfull. And do everything i need. Also the mobo inside the case is up to date with PCI-E & better ''port'' if thats what they are called for a larger, better range of CPU's instead of socket A.

So if you agree. You guys could check the Barebones kit, make sure its good, compatible with the stuff i want to add, and worth it ?

fsb1284

fsb1284

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Look at the $542.19 system I've put together. By the time you buy this mini system and upgrade it to make it worthy of gameplay, you'll have invested 100 pounds less than it would take to buy a full-size ATX board. But with that you'll get a wimpy "mini" power supply, fewer PCI and PCI-express slots, and I'll bet there's going to be heat problems. And what about a monitor?

Look here:

AMD (Venice) Athlon 64Bit 3000+ Socket 939pin 512k L2cache 90nm Retail Boxed Processor 088105 33 £82.27

Sapphire X1800XL 256mb 256bit GDDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI/VIVO 097761 *7 days £202.25

Shuttle XPC ST20G5 Mini Barebone PC System 090605 8 £203.43

Total: £461.41

You will be limiting yourself with this system. Apple Computer users were (and still are) plagued by this problem-the lack of expandability. Though it is not as extreme an issue with this as it is in Macs, you'll still be limiting yourself!

Edited by fsb1284, 07 December 2005 - 01:06 PM.

ecnalav

ecnalav

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Yeah, but i like the look of the small board... nice compact and more sightly.

Theres no real diffrence between each im guessing.So i might aswell go for the nice compact stylish one.

Edited by ecnalav, 07 December 2005 - 01:06 PM.