Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Possible power supply issue?

• Please log in to reply

fsb1284

fsb1284

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
I am currently having a problem with my PC at bootup and sometimes during regular operation (in Windows XP). Here is what is happening:

-PC is turned on. Manufacturer logo (Systemax) is displayed for a LONG (1.5 minutes+) time. If I switch off QuietBooting, removing the system logo, a blinking cursor in the upper lefthand screen appears for the same duration. This was the case before loading Linux as it is now with Linux installed.

-"GRUB loading stage 2..." appears. This is to be expected, but it still seems to hang sometimes.

-I choose Windows (the default) and Windows XP boots.

-Sometimes, when booting, the HDD spindle motor spins on and off several times. Then the system does not boot. I usually have to switch the power supply off for a minute to correct this problem.

-Sometimes, when using my PC (booted up and running) the HDD spindle motor shuts off. This is NOT like the power saving feature. Sometimes this happens while the drive is in use! Fortunately this is a rareity.

-S3 state no longer works for Standby mode. S3 is set, but the system wants to go into S1 only.

These problems happened to a lesser degree with the original power supply Systemax supplied. I replaced it for that reason. I suspect the $8.95 "X POWER 550 Watt" power supply I replaced it with about six months ago could be causing these troubles. Could a cheap power supply really cause these problems?

My complete system info. is attached Attached File  Systemax.txt   37.62KB   443 downloads. Items to note are the PowerLeap! Socket423-->Socket478 upgrade and the Radeon X800PRO, both of which require a separate power connection from the supply.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

I trulely believe in using name brand quality power supplies because I know the strange behavior a cheap or flaky power supply can produce. With that said I would replace the $8.95 psu with something good.

Systemax makes ok computers, what brand and model number was the orginal psu? I have to believe its better than what you now have.

-Sometimes, when using my PC (booted up and running) the HDD spindle motor shuts off. This is NOT like the power saving feature. Sometimes this happens while the drive is in use! Fortunately this is a rareity.

With todays drives and cooling fans running you usually can't here the hdd so if its noisy

When this happens what does the computer do? reboot,freeze?

I am thinking the hdd is the cause, find out what brand it is and go to the manufactuers website and get there diagnostic tools to check the drive.

Rick

fsb1284

fsb1284

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
The original power supply wasn't a name-brand, either. It was only a 350 watt, too!

My HDD is a WD Caviar 120GB with the 8MB cache. Sometimes when I jiggle or switch the power connector, the problem goes away for a few weeks. I think this PSU is really crappy. The original power supply wasn't a name-brand, either. It was only a 350 watt, too! How does a Antec NEO550 sound?

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

Sometimes when I jiggle or switch the power connector, the problem goes away for a few weeks.

If you move the connector and that seems to fix the problem for a bit, then that tends to indicate that the connector has a problem. You could try using another power connectors or see if you can fix the connector (either re-crimp the connection or use a soldering iron).

I would be careful in using the machine since bad power to the disk can do bad things to it.

fsb1284

fsb1284

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
I inspected the connectors and they seem fine. Given the other troubles (bootup-see first post), I think this PSU is just a POS.