Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Scrolling screen

• Please log in to reply

mlese

mlese

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
I'm not sure if I should be posting in this section or the malware section. I've run every virus scanner/check that was suggested and my computer comes up clean. However, my screen has been hijacked. It scrolls constantly up and down without me even touching the mouse. I try and fight it with the use of my mouse, but I am losing the battle. It's as if someone else is scrolling through my screen. Any suggestions will be most appreciated...or if I should post in the malware forum, I'll do that. THANKS

Maureen

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

I'm not sure if I should be posting in this section or the malware section. I've run every virus scanner/check that was suggested and my computer comes up clean. However, my screen has been hijacked. It scrolls constantly up and down without me even touching the mouse. I try and fight it with the use of my mouse, but I am losing the battle. It's as if someone else is scrolling through my screen. Any suggestions will be most appreciated...or if I should post in the malware forum, I'll do that. THANKS

Maureen

If someone is controlling your computer, it's because you may need to disable all Remote access priviledges in My Computer.

Go to Start > My Computer > right click and select Properties.
In the Properties window, select the Remote tab
In the Remote tab, put a check mark in the Remote Assistance area, then click on the Advanced button. You are doing this so you can change the Advanced features. Once you are in the Remote Assistance Settings screen, make sure there is NO checkmark in the Remote control area, then click on OK. Next, remove the check mark you put in to access the Advanced features.
Also, Uncheck the Remote Desktop option if it's checked.
After you're done, click on Apply, and OK to close the Properties window.

I would still continue to monitor the thread you started in the Malware forum. Perhaps there is more to this than just the Remote Access permissions being set. Then again... if your Remote permissions were not set to allow access, then something else is going on!

Good luck

mlese

mlese

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hello. I did what you suggested. My computer was allowing remote access (not sure when I "allowed" this feature, as I've had this computer for over a year). I recently switched Internet Service Providers (from Comcast cable to Earthlink DSL), but this couldn't get changed by them, could it? My antivirus software did lapse for a week prior to the switch and my computer was wide open to hackers for this period of time. I did get infected with virtumonde, vundo, and about blank. With the assistance of this site, I was able to finally get rid of those items. Could someone else have changed my settings during this period of time when my anti-virus software was expired? I'm curious. Your advice seems to have solved the problem (my screen isn't scrolling as I'm typing this, which is a GREAT sign). Thank you very much. I'll leave my hijack this log in the malware section.

Also, for your info if you still need it, I use a Dell Dimension 4600 computer with an Intel pentium processor. RAM is 512.

THANKS AGAIN.
Maureen

I spoke too soon...my screen is going crazy now. I even tried to do a system restore, but the computer said "Restoration Incomplete"...computer cannot be restored to ..." I've never been able to do a system restore, and I'm not sure why. Any ideas? Thanks again for your help!!

Edited by mlese, 04 December 2005 - 10:24 AM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Well, for a moment there I thought you were good to go! :tazz:

Does this scrolling only happen when you're connected to the net?

Can you disconnect and see if this still happens?

Have you tried a different mouse? Perhaps it's scrolling all by itself... it does happen. Try a swap if you can.

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts

... I even tried to do a system restore, but the computer said "Restoration Incomplete"...computer cannot be restored to ..." I've never been able to do a system restore, and I'm not sure why. Any ideas? Thanks again for your help!!

Well I never got my System Restore function to work reliably... Even a point i'd done 10 minutes before, so i just turned it off.

I'd say use Ghost instead :tazz:

And, try to see if you cant update the MOUSE DRIVER.

( Footnote, i have the very same computer as you, mlese, and had plenty of spyware infectation before, never had a scrolling problem like you, which is why i say try the mouse driver ... )

After that you might want to get on the line with DELL SUPPORT. I hate calling them, but they can have SOME insight into problems like these.