Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

3D device not found after vundo fix

• Please log in to reply

floc2

floc2

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
repaired computer after vundo fix applied. After fix and vundo removed getting error message "no suitable 3D device found" when attempting to run game. Dell gave me a driver to install; no effect. Dell pointed me to directX down load no change. Please advise. Current setup is a pentium4 with integrated graphics card.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download and install Everest Home Edition

Run the programme, click + next to computer then summary

Look on right for display / video adapter

Look at the manufacturer’s site for the suitable driver for your Operating System

If you are unable to find it, please post the make and model here before you download anything

Please set a system restore point before you install anything

floc2

floc2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Keith, Thanks for taking my case. Before I download any more drivers or programs I wanted to review this summary with you first. the summary came back with:

two identical video adapters: Intel® 82945G Express Chipset Family (160 mb)
3d accelerator: Intel GMA 950
three identical monitors: Dell E173FP [17" LCD] (D5428573FLUL)

the directX looks like the most current version: 9.0c

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Which model Dell do you have

floc2

floc2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
dimension 5100 desktop.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Not sure if this is of interest

Main Features and Benefits

Optimized: Your computer is checked and maintained for optimal system performance.
Automatic updates: Dell Support checks for updates automatically so you never have to waste time browsing through Web sites looking for updates.
Choice: Choose only the updates/upgrades you want: when they are offered to you, you can accept them, use them later, or delete them.
Relevant offers: Dell Support offers you only updates and messages that are relevant to your PC, by downloading a list of available updates and messages and then checking it against the configuration of your PC. This means that you will only be offered the information you need.
Easy update installation: Updates are designed to be easy to install, and in some cases, you only need to accept the update and it will install itself.
Updated and problem-free: Dell Support helps keep your computer up-to-date and problem-free.
Manual checkup: While it continually monitors your computer, Dell Support also enables you to check your computer manually at any time.

Will look now for the other bits

floc2

floc2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Keith are you saying those are the benfits of my machine or the software you asked me to install. I find the Dell support group to be very hit or miss. mostly miss with the support techs that respond to your needs. what did you think about the summary I sent you. can I fix the 3d problem?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Please run disc clean up, click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit, select all, right click any file, click delete, confirm, reboot

Defragment the drive, set a system restore point

The display driver is here

http://support.dell....=1&fileid=97782

They have Intel 945G shown for these systems

Systems Operating systems
Dimension 5100
Dimension 5100C
OptiPlex GX520
OptiPlex GX620
Microsoft Windows 2000
Microsoft Windows XP

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
They have an application which does those, have a look at it here, if it's as good as it says, it should solve lots of things, now and in the future

http://support.dell....1989&l=en&s=gen

floc2

floc2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks, I'll try all that. does the Everest report confirm more than one copy of my driver? Should I delete one? I can't tell.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If I had a Dell I would at least run their support utility to see how good it is

Before you install it, to cover the bases, please run disc clean up, click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit, select all, right click any file, click delete, confirm, reboot

Defragment the drive, set a system restore point

Doing it in this order will make sure the restore point is easy to create and use if you need it

Click start, right click my computer, click properties, hardware, device manager, click the + next to the items which may have multiple entries to see how many are listed there

floc2

floc2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I have run clean up and prefetch. No change to the problem. Dell support was already installed. I ran the program it found no problems. I deleted the duplicate video drivers and attempted to delete what I thought was a duplicate graphics driver. It reappeared after I rebooted. The only difference I can see with the duplicate is under the resources tab of the intel driver. One has several resources listed. the other only one. Something about memory. I will atempt to reload the driver.

floc2

floc2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Keith do you still want to help me with my case? I have contacted dell and Intel to attempt to reload the drivers. Intel's download prompted me to contact the computer manufacturer and did not load anything. Dell's version seemed to run the load program but did not fix the problem. There on line chat was no help. Dead end. I'm out of ideas.