Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Recycle Bin issues

• Please log in to reply

TeachNCoach

TeachNCoach

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am running XP SP2. I see on the desktop that there are items in the recycle bin (the trash shows). If I open the bin, there are no contents shown. However, if I click to empty the bin, it asks if I am sure I want to delete the 94 items. If I add items, they are added to the total, but they do not show up in the bin. I have tried working in safe mode, but the results are the same. Any ideas? (BTW, I am running AVG Free Antivirusn version 7.1.362, ZoneAlarm Pro version:6.1.737.000, and Microsoft AntiSpyware Version: 1.0.701)

Edited by TeachNCoach, 03 December 2005 - 04:31 PM.

Advertisements

EMCguy

EMCguy

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
Hi, TeachNCoach, Welcome to Geeks to go. I'm fairly sure we can help you.

I suspect you have malware/worms/viruses/yuk!! There is definitely malware out there that really messes with your recycle bin. It one place they like to hide and run from.

Go to this page at GTG http://www.geekstogo...?showtopic=2852

There we give you instructions for downloading and running Lavasoft Adaware, CWShredder, and Spybot.

Do those scans. Sometimes with adaware and spybot, the removal process may require that you scan and reboot with those several times before they comeup clean. Believe it or not, I have heard of cases where people have had to run Adaware seven times before the scan finally came up clean. Sometimes you also need to run the scans in safe mode for them to be effective.

We also ask you to run a trojan scan and an online virus scan. Let those programs fix everything they find.

If you are still having problems or the scans continue to show infections, then you need to download and run Hijackthis. Dont fix anything with it yet, most of the stuff it shows is good. Save the log from the scan and post it as a new topic in our HJT forum here http://www.geekstogo...o-Here-f37.html. Describe the symptoms you're having, and tell them you've already done adaware and spybot.

If it turns out to not be malware, post back here and we'll take a look at it.

Best Regards,

EMCguy

Edited by EMCguy, 05 December 2005 - 03:31 PM.