Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DV cameras

• Please log in to reply

stormycloud

stormycloud

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I went to download my DV camera (canon elura 40 mc) and it won't recognize the camera. no communication with the firewire port and the camera at all. If I unplug the firewire and plug in the usb port I am able to download still pictures off the card on the camera but I need to communicate through the firewire to be able download video. I was able to do so before but can't now. I don't think I changed anything since the last time I used it. Please Help! I need to get this fixed before Xmas. I ca't find a firewire port in the device manager shouldn't it show up there???? confused!!!!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controller

stormycloud

stormycloud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
no I don't think so, should that be in device manager?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Yes, between floppy and imaging, if you find it, click + next to it then right click the device shown then click update driver

stormycloud

stormycloud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
no it is not there, now what do I do???

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Device Disappears from Device Manger After Installation
This symptom usually occurs because of the Power Management features of the device itself, most commonly with camcorders that have been connected to the IEEE 1394 bus. After the device's internal power management cycles the device's power, the device disappears from Device Manager because it has been "removed."

To resolve this issue, alter the power-down settings on the device itself, if settings are available. There is no option to do this in Windows.

IEEE 1394 Camcorder or Video Camera Is Not Listed in Programs
Support for these devices comes from the Microsoft Streaming Class driver. Because of this, you cannot use the Cameras and Scanners tool in Control Panel to add the device.

To resolve this issue, in your software, select Microsoft DV Camera and VCR if that option is available.

http://support.micro...122120121120120

stormycloud

stormycloud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
It sounds like its got something to do with the power management features, but how do I alter the powerdown settings on the device itself??? and how come it desn't show up as IEEE 1394 bus host controller in device manager. I pulled the card and reseated it in the socket, and checed to make sure that it is getting power but it still don't show up????

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
What make is the firewire card, this should show in device manager whether the camera is connected or not, and will need to be addressed

Boot the PC, keep tapping delete until it enters set up, look for anything which enables the firewire port to check it is set correctly, press F10, press enter, type Y, press enter, if you change anything. Make a note of anything you change in set up so you can reverse it if necessary

stormycloud

stormycloud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
it says nothing in device manager about IEEE 1394 at all I think this is what my problem is. I don't know what make the firewire card is

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The make and model would help, if only to look at the manufacturer's site for clues, with it not showing, the make of camera is irrelevant as no camera would be able to work

stormycloud

stormycloud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I just took the card out and there is nothing written on it to say who manufactured it.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You might be lucky and XP will recognise it with add new hardware when it goes back in

Get Everest, click + next to computer then summary and scroll down to see if it is listed

Download and install Everest Home Edition

Mine is controlled by the soundcard

stormycloud

stormycloud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
wow what a neat program it spells out everything but my IEEE 1394 card I guess the card is no good eh??and I'll have to get a new one

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have a friend who will let you install the card on his, try it, just in case it is something with the wiring or a BIOS setting in yours

A PC shop is likely to test it for you on the basis you will get a new one if they can show you it is no good

stormycloud

stormycloud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Ok thanks I'll try that on monday if they're open.... small town syndrome.....