Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Final Fantasy VII; 8-bit paletted texture issues

• Please log in to reply

gueixiou

gueixiou

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi!

I recently installed the computer version of Final Fantasy 7 on my computer. After I tried to run the game, it immediately closed itself and brought up the FF7 Configuration tool. Under the required graphic requirements, it says that the test for "8-bit paletted textures" failed. When the game starts, all I can see is this black screen. If I press enter I can see this starting screen with Cloud's sword and "New Game" and "Continue", but if I select "New Game" it's just a black screen again. I tried googling around to solve this problem and tried to use some of the patches for nVidia graphics cards, but none seemed to work. I'm not completely sure what graphics card I have (I don't have administrator privileges on my computer) but I believe it is something by ATI. Also, my laptop is only a couple of years old so it should be able to handle the game easily? I have a Chembook laptop with a Pentium III processor, and I never changed the graphics card (If anybody knows what graphics card comes with these laptops...). Does anybody know how to resolve this problem so I can start playing th game? :tazz: Thanks!

Advertisements

NvidiaDude

NvidiaDude

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts
Not really a final fantasy fan im not but you could try this forum if helps http://www.ntcompati...ead10290-1.html

i need help please now

i need help please now

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
i also have final fantasy vii on computer. the new game starts out with a blank screen for awhile but not long. try doing it again and if it doesnt switcth to a really long scene of stars then i think you have a problem.

Crull

Crull

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I get the stars, I get the entire intro, but the moment when the train stops, my colors are gone. I hear a jump, some noise, a hit, en then a screan appears: "Hey newcomer, follow me" or something like that... And then, nothing no more. Just a black screen.
I checked taskmanager, and it is running perfectly... Any suggestions?

Owyeah, I THINK I have the TNT-patch. Or some patch anyway...

Syztem

Syztem

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
http://www.download....4-10122632.html

try that patch and it should work,

Crull

Crull

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Well... It doesn't :whistling:

any other suggestions? :s

Syztem

Syztem

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
edited:
http://rapidshare.de...ial_Patches.rar

a folder of a crap load of patches, try using the TnT patch just to be sure you have it.

Edited by Syztem, 03 September 2006 - 09:41 AM.

Sagus

Sagus

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Yes, the solution to that is installing the Direct Media... it comes with FF7 installer. It's the only way I found to be able to seee the movies encoded with some no longer supported codec.

I hope it works for you.

Crull

Crull

• Pip
  • 5 posts
It doesn't work... I still see the intromovie, but I get no screen when they are supposed to jump of the train... only the message, and sound, that's all

Syztem

Syztem

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
are you sure you installed TnT right? its supposed to be the 8bit fix, after patching did u select Nvidia > Tnt?

sorry but just double checking to be sure it was done correctly,

edit: Err... wait your a different person than the original poster here, i was trying to fix the 8bit error

edit2: seems its an nvidia card problem, sorry im out of ideas. i saw one solution with a codec that i am looking into but some malware owned me ; ; cant do much till im up and running

Edited by Syztem, 05 September 2006 - 06:02 AM.

Advertisements

Crull

Crull

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I think I have kind of the same problem I guess... 8bit is working either...

Syztem

Syztem

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
go into control panel > system> device manager and tel me what graphics your using, im 90 percent sure its nvidia seeing as how most of the problems ive seen are from them

Crull

Crull

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I'm not sure where to find (dutch windows xp) But our videocard is something with ATI

jmilist

jmilist

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hi, i have same problem, but my computer use intel extreme graphic 2 for mobile (82852/82855 GM/GME). It fail for 8-bit palleted texture. Anyone has a solution, please?

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
FF7 is an old game so you might have problems getting it to run under XP.
There's a patch for XP on download.com but that won't fix your 8bit paletted textures problem. The 8bit paletted texture problem is a driver or a DirectX problem. Newer hardware doesn't support them and I don't think DirectX 9 does either.