Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAM upgrade dilemma

• Please log in to reply

oldtoot

oldtoot

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
I am having a problem upgrading the RAM on my son's Dell Latitude C600 laptop. It now has

256 MB with one 256 MB SODIMM installed and a free slot. Research says this laptop can take

a maximum of 512 MB using any combination of SODIMMS. I purchased a 100 MHz, 144 Pin, CL2,

SD RAM chip and installed it in the empty slot. It resulted in the error message, " EDO RAM

detected in slot 0 next to PCMCIA slot. Push F2 to shut down". Bootup is stopped at this

point with no other options shown. Removing the chip and leaving the one originally supplied

with the laptop when purchased resulted in normal bootup. Replacing the supplied SODIMM with

this one also resulted in normal bootup. In other words it will boot up with one or the

other, but not both,installed, still showing 256 MB RAM installed. This would tell me the 2

SODIMM slots are both OK as well. Upon re-reading the specs for my RAM from www.crucial.com,

I realized I had maybe made an error in purchasing a 100 MHz chip, the specs called for 133

MHz. I then purchased a 133 MHz chip with the other specs the same and installing this,

either separate or with the one supplied when I bought the laptop, results in no bootup at

all. Am I going to need one 512 MB SODIMM to remedy this? I am afraid to buy another one

until I get some advise. Thanks in advance. :tazz:

Advertisements

fsb1284

fsb1284

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Depending on the manufacturer BIOS (which you may want to upgrade, if possible, from Dell's website), you may have to get 2 identical 100MHz or two identical 133MHz 256MB chips. As a rule, the probability of issues like your's increases whenever one mixes and matches chips.

According to Dell's specs, (click here) it seems that you'll be needing 100MHz chips, although most 133MHz chips will be backward compatible with 100MHz.

oldtoot

oldtoot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Seems Dell and Crucial disagree on correct module, 100 MHz (Dell) vs. 133MHz (Crucial) doesn't it?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

If the laptop actually runs at 100MHz FSB for ram, then in theory, you should be able to install 100MHz or 133MHz ram. Using 133MHz ram in this case will still result in the system running at 100MHz though.

Did you buy the new ram module from Crucial? If not, then I suggest you do as Crucial guarantee their ram to be 100% compatible with your system. Even though the ram you have may appear to meet the correct specs for that laptop, some systems (especially proprietry ones like Dell & HP) do not always work if the 2 modules are not identical. Even if the 2 modules run at the same FSB & are both unbuffered & non-ecc, there may be a difference in CAS latencies or chip configuration (e.g 32MB x 64) that is causing the problem.

I would be wary about purchasing a single 512MB module though. According to Crucial, the laptop supports a max of 512MB in total & 2 ram slots. This suggests that the max amount supported on a single slot is therefore 256MB.