Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wireless internet connection dropping intermitantly

• Please log in to reply

mountonman

mountonman

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Computer with Netgear WG111 USB2.0 looses conatct with Linksys 54g router every 5-15 minutes. Signal strength is 97%. Connection comes back up after ~30 seconds. Very annoying, any ideas? :tazz:

Advertisements

Josh Nansoz

Josh Nansoz

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
when you say

"looses conatct with Linksys 54g router every 5-15 minutes."

do you mean it is disconnected (ie in the task bar it shows your not connected) or does it just not respond to you trying to load up an internet page?(ie the link is shown as still active there is just no traffic going through)

because if it is the latter mine does the same, WIFI is not that gr8 atm the technology has to get better. atm mine has almost perfect reception but it does drop out sometimes, like i will be surfing the net and then it will become unresponsive and then i move it around a bit and it comes back lol. its a bit of a joke :tazz:

mountonman

mountonman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

when you say

"looses conatct with Linksys 54g router every 5-15 minutes."

do you mean it is disconnected (ie in the task bar it shows your not connected) or does it just not respond to you trying to load up an internet page?(ie the link is shown as still active there is just no traffic going through)

because if it is the latter mine does the same, WIFI is not that gr8 atm the technology has to get better. atm mine has almost perfect reception but it does drop out sometimes, like i will be surfing the net and then it will become unresponsive and then i move it around a bit and it comes back lol. its a bit of a joke :tazz:

Yes, the task bar shows that it is disconnected. I bring up the Netgear SMART Wizard and it is scanning for a channel to connect to.

sitha

sitha

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have the same problem, the linksys is dropping the signal even on cat5e physical cabling. Any ideas?

Edited by sitha, 05 December 2005 - 07:53 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
how many computer's are using the same connection?

sitha

sitha

• Pip
  • 4 posts

how many computer's are using the same connection?

Just two, One PC and Laptop

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok....well...go to each of them while they are connected and do start > run > cmd > ipconfig /all....and post the results (please label the different machines clearly..such as "this is the result for comp 1...and this is the result for Comp2)

sitha

sitha

• Pip
  • 4 posts
PC : 192.168.1.10
Laptop: 192.168.1.15

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'm gonna assume they both have the same default gateway?

sitha

sitha

• Pip
  • 4 posts
yes 192.168.1.1

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
is it the desktop or the laptop that's having an issue with the disconnect?

basketball346

basketball346

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
I also had this problem with my wireless PCI card and WRT54g Linksys router. i upgraded the firmware...downloaded newest drivers for PCI card. Then i turned off Windows Wirless Zero Configuration. My problem has been resolved. The wireless zero configuration looks for a "better" signal often and that kicks you off and then reconnects.

I went to start>search>services>windows wireless zero configuration and disabled it. This resolution worked for me and i am not a trusted tech so i hope this information is correct. Just letting you know my experience...if i am incorrect please someone correct me.

Dunleavy