Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Having trouble connecting to the internet(missing modem?)

• Please log in to reply

nick_mi

nick_mi

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Hey, I just moved from broadband to 56k dial up(jesus is crying, I know). Anyways, my dads computer is connecting fine(I'm posting from his), so I went onto my laptop and made a new connection, entered in all the required information, etc. When I clicked on the connection it brought up the properties page for it, and where it says connect to it says

"Modem removed-Unavailable device (COM1)"

I used to be on a 56k/dial up with my laptop, but since then I've reformatted, I believe there enlies the problem. >_<

So, what should I do? I already called DELL tech support, but the woman who helped me seem to not know what she was doing, and I was not able to be helped. And since we all know you guys>DELL technicians, I decided to come here. :tazz: :)

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi nick_mi!

Right-click MY COMPUTER, select PROPERTIES, then click on the HARDWARE tab and then the DEVICE MANAGER button. Are there any items listed that have yellow question/exclamation marks next to them? Is there MODEM listed with a '+' symbol next to it? If there is, click the '+' symbol and double click on the item that appears, which will bring up the modems properties. Click on the DIAGNOSTICS tab and then click on QUERY modem and see if it succeeds or not.

Fenor

nick_mi

nick_mi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
She went through that with me also.

The modems has a yellow checkmark next to it
then the drop down is PCI modem which has a yellow checkmark AND a yellow question mark.

Give me a second booting up my laptop.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Okay, what I want you to do is download EVEREST HOME EDITION, using the link in my signature. Do a full SYSTEM SCAN and then add the report it creates to an ATTACHMENT in your next post. Since the other computer can't get on the internet, just copy the file to a floppy disk and transfer it to your working computer.

Fenor

*EDIT* -- Also give the make & model number of the laptop. I know it's a Dell, so just the model will suffice.

Edited by Fenor, 03 December 2005 - 09:48 PM.

nick_mi

nick_mi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Mmk, there is no modem bar.

It is
- ? Other deviced
| |
| ---?! PCI Modem
|
+PCMIA adapters
etc

It's an inspiron 1000

Remember, I do not have internet so I can not download things, HOWEVER, I ran this at one point or another, so I do believe I still have it.

Good news and bad news

Good news: I have it YAAAAAAAAAAAAY
Bad news: It's MASSIVE, and I have to type it from that computer onto here. so if you can give me a term to Ctrl+F, then I can type that. But it'd take me a couple of hours to transfer it.

Edited by nick_mi, 03 December 2005 - 09:53 PM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You are on this site right now, so you are able to download EVEREST HOME EDITION from the computer you are on now. It's a 4MB file so you'll need to burn it on a CD-R or CD-R/W.

Fenor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Oh, and the Dell tech didn't have you download the modem driver for your laptop from their website?

Fenor

nick_mi

nick_mi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
I edited my above topic. ^^

Uh, no they didn't. She had me uninstall those, and when I rebooted, went to device manager and they were still there after uninstalling in safe mode she sounded very ??? :tazz:

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Well download the driver for the modem from HERE. It's only 764KB so it'll fit on a floppy disk.

Fenor

*Edit* - I am assuming you have XP on your laptop. If I'm wrong let me know.

Edited by Fenor, 03 December 2005 - 09:58 PM.

nick_mi

nick_mi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
I do not have a floppy drive(Dell products bought by ignorant mothers with good inentions ftw eh. :tazz:). And yes, I'm running windows XP.

Uh, I do not have any spare blank disks with me, I do have all of my install disks that come with the computer, would it be on any of those?

Edited by nick_mi, 03 December 2005 - 10:03 PM.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Then you'll have to burn it on a CD. If you can't burn CD's, then there isn't much you can do about it until you get it on a CD.

Fenor

nick_mi

nick_mi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
So it wouldn't be on one of my system disks?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Wouldn't hurt to check. If you can't easily find if it's on the CD's, you can always run the new hardware wizard and have it check the CD for drivers automatically. You will have repeat the new hardware wizard for each of your system discs.

Fenor

nick_mi

nick_mi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Can you give me a quick how to do on that? I put in 2 of the disks earlier(Utilitie drivers and one with "internet software", and it kept reading them as blank. I seem to remember having to restart and hitting osmething for them to read?

Btw, anything you want from everest?

Edited by nick_mi, 03 December 2005 - 10:15 PM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
When the CD's are in the drive, you can't go into MY COMPUTER and right-click on the CD-ROM drive and choose EXPLORE and view the files on the CD?

Fenor