Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Toshiba Laptop will not start

• Please log in to reply

kopp0041

kopp0041

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I own a Toshiba Satelite 5005-S507 laptop. When the battery is in place and the computer is pluged in the front lcd lights are illuminated. When I press the power button the lcd lights up, but nothing happens. No HDD sounds, no fan sounds, no screen. I need your help!! This started one day when I was working on the laptop and it just turned off. I have not be able to start the laptop since. This is my laptop I use for doing work, and I need it up and running again. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcomed.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G kopp0041

Can you try the following steps please :

1. (I am assuming here that as far as you know, the battery isn't totally flat). Disconnect the AC power adapter. Press & hold the power button for 10 seconds. Wait 5 seconds or so, then press & hold power button for 3 seconds.

2. If no. 1 doesn't work, disconnect AC power AND battery, then reconnect AC power only. Try to start the laptop again.

If neither of these 2 steps help, can you confirm the following things before we go any further :

1. You said that after powering on, the LCD lights up. Do you mean the LCD screen, as opposed to the LEDs?
2. After powering on, does the LED power light flash or is it on constantly?

kopp0041

kopp0041

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok,

When I press the power button after following step 1 and 2, the blue light led screen (not the actual screen) lights up for a few seconds and then goes dim. The ac power light and battery light are lit solid, they do not blink. And, after further investigation, it seems as though the CPU is heating up because the bottom is hot and the cpu fan cylces on and off.

Again, there doesn't seem to be any HDD activity, the screen doesn't lite up and the dvd drive will not open open.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hmmm. OK try powering the laptop on then press the Fn & F5 keys simultaneously. If this doesn't make the screen light up, then press those 2 keys again.

Next, try connecting an external monitor. You may need to press the Fn & F5 keys again as before, as this key combination switches between the built-in & external displays.

I've looked at the manual for your laptop but I can't seem to figure out what you mean by the blue light LED screen? Is this the Sub-LCD display? If so, does it light up & go dim when the laptop is booting properly as well?

Is the battery light green or amber & does the hard disk activity led light up or flicker at all?

richuk

richuk

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Post withdrawn due to a problem caused by something else. Toshiba laptop works ok at the moment. If I have any news I will post it.

Edited by richuk, 31 December 2005 - 03:16 PM.

johnishihara

johnishihara

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi

I am having the exact same problem with my Toshiba Satelite 5005-S507.

Seems to randomly wanna power up and boot into windows or not.

I have tried following.

1) Disconnect acpower, remove battery 10secs, replace battery, power on works sometimes
but then randomly turns off completely, or powers down display and machine seems to be on.

2) I did full system reinstall from recovery disks, still same problem

chagtma

chagtma

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My toshiba laptop satellite 1805-s254 shuts down by itself and will not restart for many days. I have been able to restart it several times and reinstalled windows xp pro. It works for awhile then shuts down again. I had the fan and the heatsink professionally cleaned since the laptop gets hot altho the fan works fine. I was told it could be either the CPU or the motherboard causing the problem. How can I be sure it's dead without spending a lot of money on it? Thanks

melonhead

melonhead

• Pip
  • 1 posts
my laptop wont boot up or go to Toshiba screen just stays black when it on ive tryed doing the remove bater hold don for 10 secounds ive tryed the fn and f5 and hooking to another monitor

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Direct to: melonhead

Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic especially one where the last response was 6 years ago it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system.
Please post more information as to your exact issue in your topic. Include any error messages you get as well as your system specs. This will help us to assist you more efficiently.
Thank you for your cooperation.