Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Bad Sectors on HDD

• Please log in to reply

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Hey everyone, again :tazz:

Ok so here's the thing. Back in march, i bought myself a nice 80GB HDD (western digital caviar 7200rpm),
and a nice USB2.0 enclosure.

I bought it for backup purposes, should my primary disc fail ( yep, im a careful fellow )

Ironically to what i just said, i had a bad luck with my external... I dropped it. Yep. HDD, dropped.

And, you guessed it, got bad sectors now.

Fiddled with it alot back in may, tried formats, reformats, "disc repair utitlties", even tried a Low level format twice, but to no avail....

It kept crashing near the middle, which is where i have about 21 bad sectors. ( some scans say less, some more )

So here's my questions.

1- Is there anything i CAN do, to fix this?

2- To continue using it reliably, i partitionned it, 30 gigs at the beginning, 30 gigs at the end, leaving a 20 gig buffer in the middle, where the bad sectors are.
So, i'm no longer having disc write errors, and its working fine. But, can bad sectors spread? It's my understanding, ( or at least this is what a friend says ) that bad sectors can spread, because they can be magnetic variences in the drive, etc etc etc.

Also, is the drive likely to eventually grind to a screaching hault and crash..?

The way i figure it, there's nothing i can do to fix it, and it wont crash prematurely.. but i want to know what you think.

Thx

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Bad sectors spreading is something I've heard of before. However, I really am not convinced it really happens... but then I'm no expert.

I would tend to think that if this backup drives was accessing/writing data to the disk when you dropped it, then absolutely, I wouldn't depend on it as a backup drive. The drive head must have slammed the disc when you dropped it and damaged the disc... and the head.

If you dropped it when it was unpowered, the head should have been "parked". At least this is what happens with most drives when power is removed, or like when you shut down your computer.

All in all, you have to decided if it's worth still using it as a backup. Personally, I would just trash the drive and replace it with something else. You can buy a 200GB drive from Newegg for cheap nowadays that would fit fine in your enclosure.

Vaillant

Vaillant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Yeah ur not the first to tell me to trash the drive lol

And yes, i dropped it while it was unplugged...

And simple reason for not getting another one is that i'm too [bleep] cheap lol.

The writer head seems to be working fine, havent had a single glitch scince i partitionned away from the bad sectors, all data has perfect integrity.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Well, Good luck to you. At least you know the risks! :tazz: