Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

IP Address Question

• Please log in to reply

Jackdown_66

Jackdown_66

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey Everyone,

I hope I can explain my question clearly! :tazz: A few questions... please read and help if you can! :)

I am wondering if I have visited a website if they can track my ip address just from me visiting and jumping around on different pages of the website?

Also - to be a little more specific, what if I have blocked cookies, and also if I have blocked that site in my security settings? Does that make a difference?

Can anyone help? Is there a way to prevent certain sites from finding my IP address when I visit their site???

I'm curious because it seems that this might be why I am getting some spam and possibly hacking into my computer. I don't know for sure, but I don't think I have all of my settings set correctly. I don't mind on the major sites, like Yahoo and Google, etc... but I don't want some of the random sites here and there that I visit to be able to track my IP - or is it just standard that in order to visit a website they can see your IP??? One more thing, what type of information can a person get from an IP address, enough to be able to get presonal information on me? I wouldn't think so since I would think it would track my Service provider rather than myself, but is there a way for someone to actaully get MY name and personal information to hack my computer or even possible some type of identity theft???

THANK - I appreicate any help!!!

Jack

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
All webservers track IP addresses by default. It's how they can identify you from everybody else on the server at the same time.

All blocking cookies does is stop a site setting cookies, nothing else.

There is no way on God's earth that any website on the Internet can get your email address just by visiting that site. You would have to give the site your email address manually. They can find your ISP, yes, but that in itself only limits the chance of finding you to one of a few million.

From the IP address all most people will be able to do is get your ISP, country and possibly work out which state you're in but that's about as far as it goes without getting a court order.

Jackdown_66

Jackdown_66

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks Man,

That helps.

Jack

Irongeek

Irongeek

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

I am wondering if I have visited a website if they can track my ip address just from me visiting and jumping around on different pages of the website?

Your initial point of entry on the Internet is logged by your ISP. When you go to different websites, Yes the websites can easily obtain your IP address. Also, do a simple WHOIS Query on your IP address to obtain the information they need.

Can anyone help? Is there a way to prevent certain sites from finding my IP address when I visit their site???

Yes its very easy to "SPOOF" your connection by using a proxy server. Simply, configure your web browser to work with the proxy server. If done correctly the website will obtain the proxy server information and not your IP address leased to you by your ISP.

Free public proxy servers can be found here:
http://www.publicpro....com/page1.html

Ones that work the best are the high anonymity type of proxy server configured on port 8080. Keep in mind when using a proxy server your internet connection slows down to a noticable difference. Hope this helps.

Antartic-Boy

Antartic-Boy

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 1,120 posts

I'm curious because it seems that this might be why I am getting some spam and possibly hacking into my computer.

All you need is:
  • Free anti-virus program ----download link--> AVG Free Edition Antivirus
  • Free firewall ----download link--> Zone Alarm
  • Proxy (you can use the list in Post #4 or you can buy a Proxy which will run faster then these free proxies..)

Irongeek

Irongeek

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

All you need is:
Free anti-virus program ----download link--> AVG Free Edition Antivirus
Free firewall ----download link--> Zone Alarm
Proxy (you can use the list in Post #4 or you can buy a Proxy which will run faster then these free proxies..)

Your missing a couple of important things what about keeping your OS up to date? And all other software? Also, need encryption. PGP (Pretty Good Privacy) for example.

Antartic-Boy

Antartic-Boy

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 1,120 posts

Your missing a couple of important things what about keeping your OS up to date?

Well, for privacy those are enough..

Also, need encryption. PGP (Pretty Good Privacy) for example.

You will have encryption if you buy a proxy..

jeff1234

jeff1234

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
As for the spam, I keep, (for example), a hotmail or yahoo account. That way when a web site wants an Email I give them that one so my real one doesn't get the spam.

Just be careful of which sites you give your Email address to. A lot of them out there will share or sell that info.

Irongeek

Irongeek

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

You will have encryption if you buy a proxy..

I have encryption, and I did it without buying one. :tazz: What type of encryption do I have?

SSL 3.0, RC4 with 128 bit encryption (High); RSA with 1024 bit exchange. Also, why would I buy something I can get for free? If I buy one what type of encryption does it offer?