Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Laptop Speaker Malunction

• Please log in to reply

AlbertGator

AlbertGator

• Pip
  • 7 posts
My laptop recently started having serious problems with its speakers, in that no sound comes out un less I press down hard on the area just above the headphone jack. It's almost like whatever connection it is that routes sound to the phones when they're plugged in is permanently attached (not that I know enough about computer hardware to know if that's near right in any way). Is there any way to disable the headphone jack, to see if it's the source of the problem? My laptop is an HP Pavilion zv5240us, if that tells anyone anything.

Advertisements

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
the only thing i can suggest would be to open the laptop, and check the wires for yourself, chances are a wire is touching another it shouldent around the area of the headphone jack, and a little bit of fingering arround would fix the problem... if thats the problem. so open it up and see what you can find. if opening the laptop voids your warranty, then obviously you have a warranty, so send it in to hp otherwise.

Edited by Thebinaryman, 04 December 2005 - 09:09 PM.

AlbertGator

AlbertGator

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
well, my warranty is already up, so that's not a concern. However, I opened it up last night and i couldn't really see anything. Of course, there was still stuff blocking my view of the headphone jack specifically, but without taking out far more of the computer than i'm comfortable removing, there's no way to tell.

fsb1284

fsb1284

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
It's most definitely a short. Taking it apart is the only way to find out. Being delicate and usign common sense should yield good results when taking apart something like this. It's not a good idea to force plastic parts, but sometimes a little elbow grease is needed when disassembling these things.