Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Annoying Automatic Reboots

• Please log in to reply

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
[I've posted this topic before but no one replied now it's buried so sorry I have to repost it again here]

Hi everyone, my computer just recently started doing this "once-in-a-while-rebooting-itself" thing. It could happen while I'm using the Photoshop, it could also happen in the middle of the night when I left some of my downloading going.

Now this rebooting disturbs me quite a bit (though apparently it hasn't done much other damages). Because, my computer does a 24/7 video survelliance job as well and records movement under the 3 cameras outside - if the computer's rebooted automatically, the surveilance stops as there're multiple users on the computer and after reboot it only comes to the login page.

Please help me diagnose the problem and come up with a cure.

Cheers

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
This sounds like a heat problem. How old is the machine? When was the last time you cleaned out all the dust from it? Open the case up and check to see that all the fans are clean and running... especially the processor fan.

Good luck!

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
The machine is merely 3 years old. Days ago cos I had a fan noise problem I actually opened it up, blew it with airgun and oiled all the fans so they should be working alright now - no noise at all at least....

Any other possibilities?
Thank you.

norbinsys

norbinsys

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Often get these sort of problems usualy down to heat or poor component seating. "Oiling" fans seems a bit odd as most bearings are sealed. If you have split the motor and used say 3 in 1 type oil the fan is probably siezed by the oil (it's too thick). If this is so buy a new cooler or if too expensive try WD40. If it is compont heat creep try removing (gently) the memory, CPU, video card and reseating firmly

NvidiaDude

NvidiaDude

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts
You could try putting more cooling on the Hard Drive and Near the CPU and couple of fans that are near the graphics ..I have an AKASA EXHAUST BLOWER and that gets rid of heat for me and the temperature has been normal since.. i think thats the best idea buying new Cooling units trust me its worth it heres the site where i got my AKASA EXHAUST BLOWER from if you are in £££

http://www.komputerk.....-0030&eq=&Tp=

Edited by NvidiaDude, 04 December 2005 - 03:58 AM.

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Well ... I will try that but... I was thinking that some sort of bug or virus could also cause automatic reboot? (though I'm quite confident about my NOD32 and Lavasoft Spyware/Firewall protection).

So far my problem of some files in My Documents get automatically wiped everytime I run SuperCleaner still exists. Would it have anything to do with this?

Thanx

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi chinofeliz!

Download SpeedFan from the link in my signature, install it and run it. Take a look at the temperatures it reports. Also check out the voltages of your power supply which will also be listed. Post back the information in your next reply.

Fenor

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
So you seem try to push your machine eh? I think you overload your system. Give your machine a good expensive power supply may solve your problem. Had this problem, got it fixed after intall a new 550W Vantek power supply, that weigh about 8lbs, and two sticks of Kingston EEC Ram. Good luck

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Hi, I've installed SpeedFan and attached a capture of the application running (it changes though), tell me what you guys think.

Cheers

[attachment=5056:attachment]

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Temperatures look fine and there doesn't seem to be a problem with your power supply. Next thing I can suggest is to take a look at the Event Viewer.

Please go into the Event Viewer and see what errors occurred at the time your computer reboots itself.

Click START-->RUN and type EVENTVWR.MSC and hit ENTER.

Look under SYSTEMS AND APPLICATIONS for items with RED X's that happened at the SAME time as the automatic reboots...List them here.

Fenor

Advertisements

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
I can't recall the exact times of the automatic reboots but last night there was a reboot again and under the SYSTEM section of the Event Viewer there are two red crosses with recorded times really close to the reboot (but I can't say they happened the exact time when the reboot took place).

And it seems the red crosses predominantly represent two problems (and they often go together) - The Background Intelligence Transfer Service error (I suspect it might be the reason for the reboot but not sure) and another Brother Popup Suspend service (which is a driver for a locally made printer brand which I already uninstalled).

I attached captures for diagnosis

Thanks

[attachment=5066:attachment]
[attachment=5067:attachment]

Edited by chinofeliz, 04 December 2005 - 08:08 PM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
So you used to have a Brother printer attached to your computer, but isn't anymore and that you have uninstalled the software that corresponded to it in ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS in the CONTROL PANEL?

Fenor

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Yes I have
I only needed my mate's Brother printer once to print out something in an emergency and I had to install this huge driver suite (didn't like the sound of it at the time but I had to)
And yes I have uninstalled it correctly

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Could you please download HijackThis, from the link in my signature, and extract that files to a permanent folder on your computer. Then run HiJackThis.exe and do a SYSTEM SCAN & SAVE A LOG FILE. Then copy and paste the results into your next post.

Fenor

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 3:21:21 p.m., on 5/12/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.5112.0000)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Eset\nod32krn.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\pctspk.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Eset\nod32kui.exe
C:\Program Files\MessengerPlus! 3\MsgPlus.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware SE Professional\Ad-Watch.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\GV250\GV250.exe
C:\GV250\BcastTcp.exe
C:\GV250\DmHealthSvr.exe
C:\GV250\DMMailServer.exe
F:\Program Files\Opera\Opera.exe
F:\Softwares\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: IeCatch2 Class - {A5366673-E8CA-11D3-9CD9-0090271D075B} - C:\PROGRA~1\FlashGet\jccatch.dll
O3 - Toolbar: FlashGet Bar - {E0E899AB-F487-11D5-8D29-0050BA6940E3} - C:\PROGRA~1\FlashGet\fgiebar.dll
O3 - Toolbar: TextAloud - {F053C368-5458-45B2-9B4D-D8914BDDDBFF} - F:\PROGRA~1\TEXTAL~1\TAForIE.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002A] C:\WINDOWS\System32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /IMEName
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nod32kui] "C:\Program Files\Eset\nod32kui.exe" /WAITSERVICE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002ASync] C:\WINDOWS\System32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /SYNC
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IMJPMIG8.1] C:\WINDOWS\IME\imjp8_1\IMJPMIG.EXE /Spoil /RemAdvDef /Migration32
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MessengerPlus3] "C:\Program Files\MessengerPlus! 3\MsgPlus.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AWMON] "C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware SE Professional\Ad-Watch.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - Global Startup: MultiCam Auto Start.lnk = C:\GV250\DM500Startup.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download All by FlashGet - C:\PROGRA~1\FlashGet\jc_all.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download using FlashGet - C:\PROGRA~1\FlashGet\jc_link.htm
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_05\bin\npjpi142_05.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_05\bin\npjpi142_05.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: FlashGet - {D6E814A0-E0C5-11d4-8D29-0050BA6940E3} - C:\PROGRA~1\FlashGet\flashget.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: &FlashGet - {D6E814A0-E0C5-11d4-8D29-0050BA6940E3} - C:\PROGRA~1\FlashGet\flashget.exe
O11 - Options group: [TABS] Tabbed Browsing
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft....k/?linkid=39204
O16 - DPF: {4F1E5B1A-2A80-42CA-8532-2D05CB959537} (MSN Photo Upload Tool) - http://spaces.msn.co...ad/MsnPUpld.cab
O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn...pDownloader.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{80FCB2FB-AD07-45B8-A4A4-0D0AD547E49F}: NameServer = 202.27.158.40,202.27.156.72
O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - "C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\msgrapp.dll" (file missing)
O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Adobe Systems - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Brother Popup Suspend service for Resource manager (brmfrmps) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Brmfrmps.exe" -service (file missing)
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: NOD32 Kernel Service (NOD32krn) - Eset - C:\Program Files\Eset\nod32krn.exe
O23 - Service: PCTEL Speaker Phone (Pctspk) - PCtel, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\pctspk.exe