Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Annoying Automatic Reboots

• Please log in to reply

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
That's another thing that really annoys me - I mean you can never get something clean off your computer once you put it on, can u? I'm a clean person with computer and I frequently clean out trashes and defrag and scan for spywares, virus. Scan and clean registry with Registry Mechanic 5.

But when you go into the registry everytime you see so many things there that you can or cannot remember, left over from some ancient programs before that you never use again. Manually removing them is pretty impossible and I guess there's no other easy way to clean 'em out either?

Say, is it even legal for applications like Brother (or even worse Norton series) to leave something running on your computer even after you correctly uninstalled them according to the manual?

Boy it makes me angry sometime...

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Go to START-->RUN and type services.msc. Scroll down to Brother Popup Suspend service for Resource manager and double-click it to bring up its PROPERTIES. Make sure the STARTUP TYPE is set to DISABLED and hit the STOP button. Then click APPLY and OK. Then reopen HJT and do another scan, then click on CONFIG and then the MISC TOOLS tab. Click on DELETE NT SERVICE and type brmfrmps into the window that appears. Then click OK and YES to the warning about are you sure you want to delete it Click YES when said you need to reboot your computer for the changes to take affect.

Fenor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

Say, is it even legal for applications like Brother (or even worse Norton series) to leave something running on your computer even after you correctly uninstalled them according to the manual?

It's not illegal for programs to be poorly written, it only hurts the reputation of companies when customer's have so many problems uninstalling their products when they are done using them, hence why AOL has such a crappy reputation. It's near impoosible to get rid of everything AOL from your computer when you want to change to a new provider if you don't know what you are doing.

Fenor

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Hi Fenor, just came back from reboot. For Brother's properties, I only needed to change from "automatic" to "disabled", the "stop" button was inactive. So we'll just see if the machine behaves itself now?

Thanks very much.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I would also suggest that you disable AUTOMATIC UPDATES. Right-click MY COMPUTER and select PROPERTIES, then click on the AUTOMATIC UPDATES tab, make sure that the radial button next to Turn Off Automatic Updates is selected, then click APPLY and OK.

I would also go back into SERVICES and make sure that the Background Intelligent Transfer Service STARTUP TYPE is set to MANUAL.

If you get no more random reboots, you can re-enable Automatic Updates, but for now lets see if automatic updates is indeed a cause of the random reboots.

Fenor

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Thanks Fenor for your advice, I've done the change of settings as instructed. But you know how everytime after you disable Automatic Update you get that annoying baloon msg all the time in the corner of your screen (pic attached), how do I deal with it plz?

Thank you so much.

[attachment=5070:attachment]

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Go to START-->CONTROL PANEL. Double-click on SECURITY CENTER. Click on the Change the way Security Center alerts me link on the left side of the window. Uncheck the checkbox for Automatic Updates and then click OK. The annoying message should now disappear.

Fenor

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
genius! cheers Fenor!

I know I might be being a bit greedy but could you plz have a look at the problem (http://www.geekstogo...topic=81030&hl=) when you can get around to it?

It's a post I posted a while back but the problem still exists and it threatens my data constantly (cos I have to move around things). I was going to start up a new thread on it but I think the old post with some replies really states the situation better.

Cheers

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
So any automatic reboots last night or so far today chinofeliz?

Fenor

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Nope, which is really good and I'm keeping a close eye on it. Thanks Fenor :tazz: And I'm quite interested in this SpeedFan thing so I left it open and read the temps once in a while - is it alright for the temp to go over 50? Sometimes it hangs around 56 but that's about the highest I've seen since yesterday.

Cheers

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
That's getting a little high if the computer is just idling. You may want to invest in some Artic Silver thermal paste and reapply it on the processor and then reseed the heatsink over it. Or you might want to get a whole new heatsink/fan combo altogether.

No reboots is a good thing though, so lets not worry about that until after we know the reboot problem is solved.

Fenor

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Yep I got that down Fenor. I was running Photoshop CS and playing some songs with Windows Media Players, some downloading was going on as well so I don't know... it's not that much for a computer is it? Then again I know my computer's not that powerful at all.

Cheers Fenor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
If you don't notice any major slowdowns or problems, then I wouldn't really worry about it.

Fenor