Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Winlogon.exe Error Causes comp to reboot

• Please log in to reply

Unknown_Hero_Cheese

Unknown_Hero_Cheese

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I was in the middle of downloading and installing service pack 3 for Windows 2000 and my computer froze, I tried everything without rebooting my computer and it didn't work...so I left it for about an hour. When I came back the computer was still at the same screen, the mouse still didn't move, i checked the connection to make sure I didn't bump it, and had to reboot the computer through unplugging the power source.

Well now, my computer gets to the login screen and winlogon.exe error pops up and says computer needs to restart. It happens over and over again.

I tried all the safe modes, debugging mode, last known good profile and anything that I can think of.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Cheese

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Error Message: Winlogon.exe Has Generated Errors and Will Be Shut Down

This issue may occur if your Windows 2000 installation is damaged

To resolve this issue, perform an in-place upgrade of Windows 2000. For additional information about how to do so, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

http://support.micro...b/292175/EN-US/

What an In-Place Windows 2000 Upgrade Changes and What It Does Not Change

http://support.micro...b/306952/EN-US/