Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Halt

• Please log in to reply

Len Trimlett

Len Trimlett

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
1. I am getting a device driver error that occurs with the "Blue Screen Of Death". :tazz: It was rebooting without any indication of what is going on.

2. Previous input from this forum indicated to go to the control panel and shut off the automatic reboot on system halt. That was good advice.

3. The system halted again with the "blue screen of death". This time it halted with the message:

"PFN_LIST_CORRUPT".

It showed a halt as follows:

STOP: 0x0000004E (0x0000007, 0x00010369, 00036D84, 0x00000000)

3. On reboot check disk indicated in stage 2 "$I30 Index" -- file 14608 corrected.

4. Completion of Reboot brought me to the Microsoft Window that said Device Driver unhandled exception or illegal operation.

5. A review of the Control Panel indicates only one possible area. I have a Maxtor 300 Gigabyte External Hard Drive. The Device Manager says drivers for this device are not installed (code 28).

6."?" question marks show up for the Maxtor External Drive and PCI Serial Port. Both come up code 28.

--------------------------------------------------

With the above background I ask the following questions:

1. Are there generally drivers for an external hard disk? Are these something I need to download from the Maxtor website?

2. What does the "PFN_LIST_CORRUPT" point you to?

3. I had to reinstall the entire operating system XP once before.

4. Is there anything to help point from a System Halt to a particular Device Driver that is causing the particular problem?

Thanks -- Len Trimlett --

Please do not include an e-mail address in any post in order to avoid unwanted contact

Edited by Keith, 04 December 2005 - 09:44 AM.

Advertisements