Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ddr memory not recognised

• Please log in to reply

suntanio

suntanio

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
hi,

after buying a gig of ddr memory-

ADVANCE MODULE
Type: DDR
Capacity: 1GB
Speed: PC2100 DDR266
Size&Bit: 128x4
Pins: 184pin
ECC: No
High Density (Compatible with Via and Sis Chipsets Only)

I am sure that this is the right memory as i already have 2 x 256mb pc2100 266 mhz fitted and i have correctly slotted into motherboard -

asus a7v333

chipset Device Description
North Bridge: VIA VT8367 Apollo KT333
Device Description
South Bridge: VIA VT8233(A)

the motherboard also states it can hold up to 3gb of memory.

The problem im having is that my system dosent pick up the new memory installed, so i was wondering if this memory is compatible?

any ideas anyone?

Advertisements

Josh Nansoz

Josh Nansoz

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
just a thought...
if you are trying to run the new ram modual with the old sometimes they dont like eachother and can just not work. try on their own first :tazz:

suntanio

suntanio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Have tried that josh, it dosent even register the new memory by itself.....but dosent display any error messages or beeps like it does if the memory was incorrect

Josh Nansoz

Josh Nansoz

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
so what actually happens when the computer boots up? does it get to a certian point and then just stop? or is there just a black screen?

suntanio

suntanio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
well it actually boots up as normal, but when i check in the system info , and ive also checked in the bios screen it still displays 512 mb and not the new module....maybe its just not compatable but i dont know why and i want some more memory...

Josh Nansoz

Josh Nansoz

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
have you updated your BIOS? that can sometimes depend on how much it can handle?

im all out of ideas maby some1 else can help?

BUT...if you can send it back...claim its faulty or somthing, and then buy it from here

http://www.crucial.c...SPN=CT12864Z265

it will work or ALL your money back m8 :tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'm gonna go with josh....try reseting the bios first....just turn the machine off...unplug it from the wall....and take the CMOS battery out...hold in the power button for about 5 seconds or so..then put the battery back in...plug it in and boot up...you should get a message about a checksum error...but ignore it....see if the ram is recognized...

if that doesn't do it...go to the MOBO manufacturer's website and get a bios update

suntanio

suntanio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
ive just updated my bios and still not picking it up....maybe memory fawlty........should i still reset bios by removing battery or you think there is no point now with me upgrading bios

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'd still try it....ya never know.....some systems can just be crank.

suntanio

suntanio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
hi,

just tried the above to no joy....think ill be purchasing so more memory

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'm not the best with ram when it comes to buying it....but...i know that some ram has to be installed in pairs for it to work...i'm not sure if this is the type that you have to do that with...but i'll do some research..

suntanio

suntanio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
thanks...