Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Virus Help Please?

• Please log in to reply

Enchanted227

Enchanted227

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My computer has been taken over by the Winfix virus. Everytime I try to use Internet Explorer, a pop-up will come saying "install winfix". I cancel the pop-ups and 3 more come. It will even take over the active window if ignored too long.

I have installed Mcafee, Norton, AdAware, and Spykiller. They all find problems when run and supposedly "kill/remove" them. But then the next time I go online, the Winfix thing is back! All of these protection services are updated regularly.

Any advice on how I can get rid of this thing completely?

Advertisements

EMCguy

EMCguy

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
Go to this page at GTG http://www.geekstogo...?showtopic=2852

There we give you instructions for downloading and running Lavasoft Adaware, CWShredder, and Spybot.

Do those scans. Sometimes with adaware and spybot, the removal process may require that you scan and reboot with those several times before they comeup clear. Sometimes you need to run the scans in safe mode for them to be effective.

we also ask you to run a trojan scan and an online virus scan. let those programs fix everything they find. And if you dont have a permanent antivirus running, install AVG as we recommend there.

If you are still having problem or the scans contiue to show infections, then you need to download and run Hijackthis. Dont fix anything with it yet, most of the stuff it shows is good. Save the log from the scan and post it as a new topic in our HJT forum here http://www.geekstogo...o-Here-f37.html. Describe the symptoms you're having, and tell them you've already done adaware and spybot.

Plus you have a problem with running both macafee and norton at the same time as resisdent virus scanners. that uasually makes your computer less secure. Pick one and remove the other.

And get thee hither to the HJT forum, after you do the above stuff. Good luck.

Best regards,

EMCguy

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
I assum that you r running XP. In or der to kill you have to disable system restore complettly before you run any fix and kill. Get every thing fixed then you can turn this option back on.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

Follow the advice given by EMCguy.. We have a very good malware removal team that should have you up and running on no time!!

Murray

Enchanted227

Enchanted227

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks everyone! I've downloaded and run all of those programs suggested by EMCGuy. Things look good so far.

If anything changes, I'll be back for more help.

Thanks so much!!

EMCguy

EMCguy

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
Congratulations! Im glad to hear that your computer is running better. You should probably reset your restore points now, as the earlier ones are likely infected.

reset your restore points

To reset your restore points, please note that you will need to log into your computer with an account which has full administrator access. You will know if the account has administrator access because you will be able to see the System Restore tab. If the tab is missing, you are logged in under a limited account.

(Windows XP)

1. Turn off System Restore.

On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.

2. Reboot.

3. Turn ON System Restore.

On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
UN-Check *Turn off System Restore*.
Click Apply, and then click OK.

How to Turn On and Turn Off System Restore in Windows XP
http://support.micro...kb;en-us;310405

Safer Surfing Recommendations

Since your issues have been addressed and you are ready to travel the net again, I will just give you a few ideas on how to stay safe out there. Best of all these programs are all readily available on the net for free :)

To reduce the potential for spyware infection in the future, I strongly recommend installing SpywareBlaster and SpyWareGuard. SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard are by JavaCool and both are free programs. SpywareBlaster will prevent spyware from being installed and consumes no system resources. SpywareGuard offers realtime protection from spyware installation attempts.

More info and download is available at: Spyware Blaster and Spyware Guard

Might I suggest the following Free Spyware programs for added security, you can download them at the following links. These programs work great for detection:
Ad-aware SE and its tutorial Adaware Tutorial and another Spybot S&D and its tutorial Spybot Tutorial .

Antiviruses play an important role in keeping your computer safe and worry free while using the net. *NOTE* Only one antivirus must be allowed to run on your computer, as having two or more running can and will cause conflicts. One good free one from Grisoft is AVG and another free one is Avast

Firewalls are also a must in any good prevention scheme. Both of these are superior to the Microsoft firewall, and are needed even if you have a hardware firewall enabled:
Zone Alarm which I use, and Sygate or Kerio

There are different browsers available on the net, other than Internet Explorer, we believe!! these are better for security purposes : Firefox and/or Opera

You must stay on top of your updates at all times, for the above mentioned applications. It is vitally important to stay on top of your critical updates provided by Microsoft. This can be accessed by going to Windows Updates and following the prompts.

To add to the performance of your computer, I suggest a weekly maintenance program. Run this tool. CleanUp

Lastly, a second opinion on the Antivirus that you have chosen. I suggest running these online virus scans periodically, just to make sure that the av is doing a proper job, of keeping you safe: Rav Online Scan
Housecall Online Scan
Panda Activescan
Housecall Java Online Scan<---For those who use Firefox
And finally a little Posted Image How did I get infected in the first place ? (by Mr. Tony Klein and dvk01)

After doing all these, your system will be well protected from future threats. :tazz: Nonetheless, be careful where you let your computer roam. It is the Wild Wild West out there in etherland.

Best regards,

EMCguy