Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

malware unknown - shdocvw.dll loading error

• Please log in to reply

tigralon

tigralon

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm currently unable to boot my computer, even in safe mode. Here's a brief history of the situation:

Yesterday I learned I was infected with UnSpyPC. This manifested in two ways: a "scan" window and a "gambling - xxx - insurance" bar down the side of the screen.

I downloaded and ran Sysinternal's Autoruns in safe mode and was able to locate and remove the UnSpyPC.exe file. Then I rebooted regularly and the "scan" window was gone but the links bar remained.

I followed your directions:
- ran CleanUp
- installed and ran Ad-aware SE
- ran CWShredder
- ran Spybot S&D (and set it to Immunize)
- ran the free Trend Housecall online virus scan

- updated the Symantic Anti-Virus Corporate Edition on the computer and ran a scan
- (ZoneAlarm is also installed on this computer and seems to be running regularly)

Throughout this process, I had to restart several times and it restarted just fine every time. The links bar hasn't returned.

HOWEVER - this is where it gets really bad.
The last step I took was to download all the Windows updates that the Windows site diagnosed the computer needed. There were a lot of these (25 or 30) so I don't remember the names of all the updates. I then let the computer restart. The Windows ME screen appeared, and then the "user log-in" box (where I clicked and it disappeared as usual.) But when it tried to continue to log into Windows, the following message appeared:
"an error occurred loading c:\\windows\system\shdocvw.dll
file may not have been installed or has been corrupted"

I clicked on it and it reappeared two or three times, then disappeared. At that point the only thing on the screen was the desktop image (i.e. the photo I had set as the background, but no icons or start menu etc.) and the mouse (i.e. the arrow). The mouse seems to respond normally to moving it around the screen, but nothing happens on a left-click or a right-click.
The Ctrl-Alt-Del menu shows that NO programs are running - the box is completely blank.
I shut down the computer throught the C-A-D menu and then turned it back on. The ME screen appeared again, then the log-in window, but this time the error message didn't show up at all. I was taken straight to the background photo and the mouse, and nothing else. I shut it down and let it sit for several hours (it was time for dinner anyway).

The next time I turned it back on, I rebooted it in safe mode. The ME screen appeared, then the desktop photo and mouse appeared (both in safe mode style) but nothing else happened!!! It STILL refuses to load any further past the photo and mouse arrow - despite being in safe mode. At this point I've run out of ideas. I Googled and found only one mention of a similar problem at:
http://www.annoyance...000/t1011987101
People on that forum suggested to the poster to do use a "previously created ME startup disk" (which I do not have) or the original installation CDs (which are 300 miles away) or "extract the shdocvw.dll files" (I don't know how to do this or where to start, seeing as how I can't even log in).

Any advice would be very much appreciated! I am completely stumped at this point. Thanks so much.

Advertisements

tigralon

tigralon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Update: I fixed part of it on my own but there is still a problem...

I think I took care of *part* of the problem - managed to make a boot disk from www.bootdisk.com on another computer, then use that to get in.

But now when I start the computer it tells me:
(all of these messages pop up one by one, not all at once):
Error: NAV realtime protection is unable to start
symevnt.386 is not loaded. you may need to reinstall norton anti-virus to correct the problem.

symantic antivirus realtime protection failed to load. (norton antivirus corporate edition)

windows millenium edition is now setting up your hardware and any plug & play devices you may have...

setting up hardware.
the file 'rndismpm.sys' was not found.

windows needs the disk labeled 'westell utilities / usb drivers/ to continue. this disk may be provided by your computer or device manufacturer.
copy files from:
c:\\windows\options\cabs
setup could not finish opening a sile on the source disk.
source file: 'c:\\windows\options\cabs\rndismpm.sys'
destination file: 'C:\\windows\system32\drivers\rndismp.sys=ryndismp.sys'

[and ditto with file 'usb8023m.sys']

.......so any ideas what's going on here????? Thanks so much!