Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Running Processes ?

• Please log in to reply

wh5050

wh5050

• Pip
  • 2 posts
First of all, I used to have windows 98 for ever and now have 2005 Media XP. I like the new operationg system, but I am not able to check what load-up groups I want for startup. For example, In 98 I was able to go to Acessories>System Information> and under a file above>System Configuration: There I was able to decide if autoexec.bat, config.sys, win.ini would load and could also pick the startup items I wanted to load as well. This was a cool option and let my computer run with incrediable quickness. I was using about 5% of the memory in the computer which was under a gig. I would like to be able to do something similar on XP. I notice there are like 37 process which a running all the time and would like to have as least a possible. Is there anyhting I can do.

Advertisements

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
To disable items from starting up:

Start -> Run -> type msconfig -> Startup Tab

From here you can select on whats starts up or not. Hope that this helps.