Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows SP2 Causing Problems w/ IE & Outlook Expre

• Please log in to reply

reilly

reilly

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I downloaded a Windows update today - SP2 - and now my IE6.0 and outlook express only works for a few minutes. I am still connected to the Internet, but then all of a sudden IE stops working and a blank page/error page shows up. With Outlook Express - it works for a few minutes, but then it will not send or receive -- something with TCP/IP. Help!

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Probably fallen foul of the infamous SP2 'screw it up' scenario -- all too familiar. I can only suggest you use System Restore to wind your PC back to yesterday or some very recent Restore Point prior to installing SP2. You can instead uninstall SP2 via Add/Remove Programs but that's not forced to put everything back the way it was.In other words it gets rid of SP2 but doesn't always rectify the problems it caused. System Restore on the other hand actually turns your system back and restores the Windows folder the way it was. My Documents folder isn't affected at all when you do this, so no worries about losing any personal files.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Gateway told me not to install sp2 on my laptop. It works fine with sp1 so I see no reason to upgrade.....

reilly

reilly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
It's odd. Shortly after I posted that message, I saw that there were more Windows updates downloading to my computer (this was after I did the SP2 installation). Since then, I have had no problems, I've had no pop ups, no computer slows downs, and it's working better than ever. I'm still crossing my fingers!

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
If you use Firefox you won't get any pop-ups or spyware.