Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

help me

• Please log in to reply

Fusion_Inc

Fusion_Inc

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
hey guys

i install sp2 and updates yesterday but after that my computer cant connect to the internet anymore and also my hdd space was suppose to be 12-14 gb left and now is 7gb..left what happen anyone know?

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

SP2 installs Windows Firewall. Check to see if this has been enabled. If so, try either configuring it to allow you to connect to the Internet or disable it completely.

Fusion_Inc

Fusion_Inc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
i unistalled the sp2 already though

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK. Did you create a restore point just before installing SP2? If so, you should be able to restore the system back to then.

If not, then can you tell me how you connect to the internet? i.e dial-up modem, ADSL, Cable etc, and whether you are directly connected to the net or through a router.

Also, when you attempt to log on the internet, what exactly happens? - any error messages etc?
Are you able to send or receive email in Outlook or OE?

Fusion_Inc

Fusion_Inc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
nvm i fixed the internet but about the hdd problem. after the updates my computer lost 5-7 gb :tazz: ?????? i ask my friends and people, they all said updates only cause around 700 mb.....so???

and can i just unistall the window update from add/remove???

Edited by Fusion_Inc, 04 December 2005 - 07:17 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

and can i just unistall the window update from add/remove???

Which updates do you want to uninstall? Or do you mean uninstall Windows updater itself?

As for the loss of hard disk space, there could be several explainations for this, one of which is:

The Installation of SP2 would have created backups of the current system or additional restore points - so this may account for some of the lost space. Remember the default amount of space allocated to system restore is 12% of the total drive space, so depending on the size of the drive, this may be quite a lot!

Empty the temp folders. A lot of programs etc create temporary files or folders during the installation process which they don't delete afterwards. You should find the temp folder in Documents & settings\username\local settings\temp.

Empty the temporary internet files as well & the recycle bin.
After all that, I advise you defrag the hard disk