Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

I need help!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

PuppyYowa

PuppyYowa

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My computer is screwed.

Computer has slowed down, my home apge changed without my consent, I get pop ups when I'm not using the internet, a random supposed spyware remover called 'SpyAxe' randomly appeared on my computer and won't remove when I go to 'Add or Remove Programs', 'Microsoft AntiSptware' isn't picking anything up, 'Norton' restarts the computer when I try to do a full system scan, a 'Security Alert' continuously pops up on my computer and my computer randomly pops up stuff that is supposed to be a help but I have to pay for the crap.

Also I believe that the dealer who sold this computer gave us a not authentic version of Windows because when I try to download a specific AntiSpyware program that is supposed to help me it tells me I need a Genuine Validation Component, but when I go to get it, it says there is a validation Failure: Product Key Failed Validation.

I have tried everything. Please help.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
PuppyYowa...

Before we go any further, let's determine if your copy of Windows is legal.

Open your "My Documents" folder and click on "Help" in the toolbar. Click on "Is this copy of Windows legal?" and run the validation tool on the resulting page.

Let us know how you fare with this...

wannabe1

PuppyYowa

PuppyYowa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I did what you said and I believe I did it correctly, but once again it says the validation was a failure.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
PuppyYowa...

The Geeks to Go Terms of Service Agreement prohibits us from helpng with pirated or illegal software, regardless of how it was aquired. I would recommend that you contact Microsoft, which you can do from the same page you ran the validation tool from, and explain how you ended up with the software. They may help you with your problem, and in any case, you may be able to help prevent others from being victimized by the illegal practices of whoever sold you your computer.

You might also contact the person you purchased your machine from and demand they supply you with a legal version of Windows with the understanding you will turn them over to Microsoft in they don't comply.

Sorry.....

wannabe1

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Wannabe1 explained our position very well.. Thread closed..

Murray