Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Compaq Presario and Win98 SE Multiple issues

• Please log in to reply

SpiderDragon

SpiderDragon

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
:tazz: Okay fellow computer tinkerers, I need some help! I'm trying to heop my mom with her computer and it's not being very cooperative. Iv'e done multiple system scans with various progs. I'm finding nothing of use. Here's the problems:

When first started the system is fine, everything accesable and working. After about 20 min things are different. Opening "My Computer" freezes the system. Trying to type an address in the address bar of IE freezes the system. Also the ususal shutdown problems of Win98 SE. It won't.

There is an unresponsive CDRW drive. The system sees it, but it won't read any disks. I don't think this is causing the issue, but maybe it is.

The issue can sometimes be worked aroud with the "close-program" dialog box. Sometimes. Mostly this just brings up the beloved "blue-screen".

If one know's what NOT to do, the system is still useable. However, it's not right and I wan't to fix it! Oh, here's more info:

Ad-Aware= came up clean
SpyBot = came up clean. However, trying to update it gave a "bad-checksum"
Panda Active Scan = came up clean
AVG Anti Virus = No virus found. However, there was an error reading the boot sector of C: drive. Also
C:\windows\system\user32.dll & shell32.dll show "changed"?

I've also defragged the system, done the Windows update, done the registry check/fix under system tools, and I cleaned house in Add/Remove progs. Not necessarily in that order. Doesn't seem t be running hot either. Soon as you reboot the system it's fine....for about 20 min.

Any thoughts? I'm up for suggestions! If I need to create some scan logs for ya please let me know. I'm more than willing at this point! I'm begging!!!

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
It's twenty questions time! What's the model number, compaq can be funny about model numbers, there's a whole bunch of presario 5000's but they are different and if you look on the side or back you'll see a different number? How much memory does it have, how much disk space, free and used? Anything else that might be helpful?

The reason I ask is win98se is usually a pretty stable system, so it may not be related to the OS. Also, you didn't say if you ran system file checker. You may need your win98se or windows companion disk to run it. Point to the win98 folder. Or the files may be in windows\options\cabs on the hard drive. Got to Start>Run, type in sfc, hit OK.

SpiderDragon

SpiderDragon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
K Tyger let's go!

Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.2222 A
Clean install using /T:C:\WININST0.400 /SrcDir=C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS /IS /IW /IQ /ID /IV /IZ /II /NR /II /C /U:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
IE 5 6.0.2600.0000
Uptime: 0:09:59:37
Normal mode
On "COMPUTER" as "Default"
Compaq Computer Corporation
AuthenticAMD AMD-K6™ 3D processor
312MB RAM
56% system resources free
Windows-managed swap file on drive C (12301MB free)
Available space on drive C: 12301MB of 16314MB (FAT32)
Available space on drive D: 1669MB of 2792MB (FAT32)

That shoud take care of some info. I did run system file checker. Got an a-ok on that. The Compaq model number on the front of the machine is 7360. If I need to dig further, let me know. AMD K6 3D processor somewhere in the realm of 500 mhz. Hope that helps abit. I can usually dig my way through computer issues fairly easy. This one's stumping me! Any ideas from here?

Thanks Tyger!

SpiderDragon

SpiderDragon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hello again,

Anyone got any thoughts here? I could really use some help!

Thanks again

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This will rebuild rather than restore the registry and also replace missing or corrupt system files

Boot the PC and keep tapping F8 right after the beep until you get options, select command prompt only, type scanreg.exe /fix then press enter, it will run through a few screens then say registry repaired. Press enter then press ctrl + alt + delete keys together to reboot.

When Windows has loaded, click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools, system information, tools then run system file checker and replace any files it asks for from the 98SE CD then reboot.

When it has loaded to the desktop, click start, programmes accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then run disc defragmenter from system tools

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You might try repairing the boot sector. Scandisk will do some repairs, but you can restart in ms-dos mode, type in

fdisk /mbr

and hit enter.

However I see other problems here. The machine has very good specs for win98se but you only have 56% free resources, which is very low.

SpiderDragon

SpiderDragon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I agree Tyger.

It's like something in the background is eating up system resources as time goes by. At inital boot up everythings fine, but after about 20 to 30 min....things start going screwy. It's got me stumped. I'll probably be going over to ma's place in a day or two and I'll give all the suggestions a try.

Keep the ideas coming though....I have a feeling it's going to be stubborn!

Thanks again

Kacy