Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My New PC

• Please log in to reply

Chyeah

Chyeah

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Im building a new pc and i was wondering about the 10,000 RPM Harddrives. what exactly do they improve the performance of?

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
the raptor 10,000 rpm drive makes games load quicker. Maps load faster in multiplayer games ect..

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Not really, it depends on the drive you compare it with, alot of the new 7200rpm drives can beat the raptors for in game performance hands down. As a rule higher rpm means faster speeds of the drive and its response time but thats not neccesarily true in all cases. Also the smaller size makes them have a major disadvantage as games are big these days.

Chyeah

Chyeah

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Not really, it depends on the drive you compare it with, alot of the new 7200rpm drives can beat the raptors for in game performance hands down. As a rule higher rpm means faster speeds of the drive and its response time but thats not neccesarily true in all cases. Also the smaller size makes them have a major disadvantage as games are big these days.

are you talking about the new Sata IIs ? they compare to the 10k RPMs? the space is definately a problem 74gigs isnt enough and its pricey buying 2 of them. I wouldnt mind getting the one your saying is beating the raptors.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
There is even one of the sata I drives i think that was faster, the fastest drive out of the 7200 and 10 000 rpm drives is the samsung spinpoint P120S 300GB(not to be confused with the near identical older spinpoint drives) its pretty cheap as well, it got an improvement of 13secs on level load times in some games compared to the raptors.

Their might even be a faster drive out now i havent looked this month for new releases of drives.

Chyeah

Chyeah

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
http://www.newegg.co...Submit=Property

r those one of them?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
The new sataII drives are good because you get a little more speed than regular sata and you can have a large capacity drive also.

Yeah for the raptors you dont get enough space but it is 10,000 rpm though. I have one and when im playing multiplayer games online I am the first to load a map on alot of the games out.

When I open a home multiplayer server the clients will load instantly if they have a fast pc.

Id say go for a sataII drive though. You seem like you need space.

Chyeah

Chyeah

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
yea i have a bunch of games like Halflife2, NFS:MW Black Edition, F.E.A.R, Farcry, Call of Duty 2, FFXI, Battlefield 2 etc. These all take up alot of space. I guess ill look into a Sata II drive

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
ya I have cod2, need for speed most wanted black edition, hl2, farcry also.

NFSmw is pretty good.

Chyeah

Chyeah

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
yea, I was thinking about getting this drive:

http://www.infonec.c...=detail&id=8932

what do u think?

Edited by Chyeah, 04 December 2005 - 08:05 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well i like it obviously, good drive great load times i beat my friend with a supposedly faster PC and drive in load times( he is intel though so what do you expect) we played swat4, flatout, NFS2 and farcry, so its fast my far cry load times are actually reasonable which is a change far cry i used to be able to go make a cup of tea before the next map was loaded on my old pc. Mind you i would say get the 250 because my drive is a struggle to keep space in(drives dont perform as well the more you fill them you ideally want to keep 25% free) but i am a file hoarder. The maxtors are good because they while not bleeding gums fast they are cheap and are solid drives, they last you a while, so they are good value. Raptors and the new cheatahs just arent very good value for money.

None of those samsungs is the one i was talking about, they are bloomin hard to find i have found maybe two retailers with them and they have limited stocks.