Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reformatted - now having display/playback issues

• Please log in to reply

lucyndah

lucyndah

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Due to the discovery that I had been sold a computer with an illegal copy of Windows Pro XP - I purchased a copy of Windows XP Home edition and reformatted and installed it. SINCE then, I cannot properly use some programs. Example - Proshow Gold - slideshow program. It runs slow and choppy. When I preview the show it is VERY show and choppy and the music skips around and is just icky. I did a wedding this weekend - my brother's actually - and MISSED the wedding to get it done in time for the reception because I had such problems using this program.

AutoGK - usually I can record something of the camcorder or the vhs tape or the tv to my dvd recorder and then easily use this program to convert it to an avi and then use it in Movie Maker - but since reformatting - it just sucks. The movie drags and skips and gets farther and farther behind the audio as it plays - and the audio itself is poor and skips around. Due to this - I could not include video clips in the show I created for the wedding this weekend.

Why is this happening? I have several suspicions - but I'm not computer trained techie and they are just guesses I have no clue how to go about adjusting. I could mess around and try a million things and probably eventually figure it out - but I don't want to or have time to. I need to get a bunch of VHS tapes recorded and edited for someone this week - no time to learn by trial and error.

Can anyone help????

Also - now I have service pack 2 - I thought that was suppose to help with these danged popups but I still can't get rid of them. They were there immediately upon opening explorer the first time after reinstalling. Adult Friend finder is the very worst - how do I get rid of that?

Thanks.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi lucyndah!

Looks to me like you may not have the appropriate drivers installed for your hardware. Please right-click MY COMPUTER, select PROPERTIES, click on the HARDWARE tab and then the DEVICE MANAGER button. Are there any items listed that have yellow exclamation/question marks next to them? If so, post these in your reply.

Fenor

lucyndah

lucyndah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
no - there is nothing there. I did check that before as I suspected it was a display adapter issue. I still suspect it is this. Before my reformat when I would go into display settings I had many more options as I have a video out card - now there are none of those options available. It totally slipped my mind to write my driver info down. But it is not indicating there is an issue. I can't remember off the top of my head what the settings were prior - I went in to manually install a different driver to see if looking at the list would trigger my memory - I didn't take a lot of time on it though as I was heading out the door to do some shopping. I do suspect it may very well be this problem. If it isn't indicating in the device manager that there is a problem - could there still be one?

I've messed with my computer so many times that I have bits and pieces of knowledge and can figure things out quite well - but I'm missing important chuncks that would make it so much easier. Eg. I'm sure it is a display driver issue - problem - how do I know which one to install when I can't remember what it was and had no documentation given to me when I purchased this computer. Does windows usually detect the right hardware? I can figure things out - but I would sure like to know the specifics.

Thanks for your help.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,
In my signature is a link to Everest. Download, install it, and run it. It will give you information on your vid card. Just go through the menus till you find the info, then download the latest drivers from the manufactures website.

Also, it would be a good idea to go HERE and follow the instructions for removing the spyware junk you mentioned. If the spyware persists, go HERE and post for help.

lucyndah

lucyndah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I went and downloaded a trial version - I didn't see a link for a free version anywhere so here is what I could get from it. If you could give me a direct link to a download for a free version??? If there is one?

Edited by lucyndah, 05 December 2005 - 03:34 PM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Everest used to have a free version... limited though. I guess they decided they needed to force people to buy their product. I don't actually use it. What I do use it Aida32 which is what Everest was developed after. I believe they bought Aida32. I've removed the Everest link and added a link to Aida32 in my sig. It works basically the same way (better in my opinion for some things) and it's FREE!

Your video jumping may be a resource problem. Could be something utilizing too much resources at the same time you're doing video stuff. Run a video and do Ctrl+alt+del to launch Task Manager. Select the Processes tab and see what program has high CPU usage.

The fact that you just reloaded XP and got spyware instantaneously could be that maybe one of your backup files was already infected and you downloaded it to your newly formatted PC. You probably need to find the culprit if this is the case. And also running your spyware cleaners is a good idea.

EDITED... will you do me a favor and edit out the Everest log. It's quite long and makes the thread difficult to read. The Everest data was for your use and need not be posted here. Thanks.

Edited by makai, 05 December 2005 - 03:32 PM.

lucyndah

lucyndah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
okay I don't think it's a backup file - because - I had an illegal version of Windows XP so I wiped my hard drive entirely and installed a new copy of Win XP home. When I reinstalled - I reinstalled just a few programs - only the ones I needed that day to get this project done. I have very little on my computer right now. Just a handful of programs and this is happening with hardly anything else running. Before I reformatted I could run Photoshop - Proshow - media player - have several browser windows open and do several things all at the same time and not have a single problem. The only reason I reformatted was to get a legal version of XP on my machine as I was unable to access some options I needed to use to the the Authentication system that was set in place recently. Had it not been for that I would have left everything as is.

So as it sits - my system should run much better. It has nothing on it. It is free of the 10000 mp3s that was once on it and the hundreds of video clips. All I've got on it is Proshow - photoshop - and AutoGK basically. I haven't reinstalled everything yet so I don't think my system is taxed. If it is - then something is really wrong.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Did you run a video and check Task Manager?

lucyndah

lucyndah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
what should I do now that I have installed the software??

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
I'm getting a bit lost here. I'm not sure what software you're asking about. We need to concentrate of fixing just one thing at a time. Either your video problems, or your spyware problems. Which do you wish to do?

Advertisements

lucyndah

lucyndah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Did you run a video and check Task Manager?

47%

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
What program is utilizing 47%??? Are there any other programs with high usage? Normally, everything should be at or close to 0% except for System Idle processes.

lucyndah

lucyndah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

I'm getting a bit lost here. I'm not sure what software you're asking about. We need to concentrate of fixing just one thing at a time. Either your video problems, or your spyware problems. Which do you wish to do?

The video problems. I was just surprised that things started popping up immediately.

lucyndah

lucyndah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

What program is utilizing 47%??? Are there any other programs with high usage? Normally, everything should be at or close to 0% except for System Idle processes.

Windows media player - everything else is close to 0.

Edited by lucyndah, 05 December 2005 - 04:00 PM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Media player shouldn't be running that high. On my system when I view a video, it runs at 03%.

There could be something wrong with your Media Player installation. Do you have any Antivirus programs running?

Do this... go HERE and download Hijackthis. Install it, run it, and save a Startup Log, and a Scan Log to your desktop. These will be text files. In your next reply, "attach" the files to your reply. Use the File Attachment tool found below the reply screen. Please DO NOT paste the logs into your post. Thanks.

I will review the text files and get back to you.