Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

setting up buffalo wireless

• Please log in to reply

Ehsan

Ehsan

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
hi ive recently purchased a buffalo wyr-g54 wirelesss router. Ive had to use an ethernet cable to connect it to the PC (mesh computer using windows xp). The laptop im trying to connect to is a Dell inspirion 8600 running win xp also.

Ive turned the wireless router on, which the laptop detects, except there is a padlock symbol on it. I have no problems connecting to my neighbours netgear connection. I know i have to try and get to a website and fill in the dhcp etc. but i dont know how to locate that information. My isp refuses to help me connecting it too the little **** ( ntl if anyone wants to name and shame).

Please help! :tazz:

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The padlock symbol (assuming you mean the padlock symbol on the Wireless Networks Detected screen) means that the network is secured.

Normally new wireless networks aren't secured out of the box like this.
Reset the router to factory settings usually by holding a button in on the back/bottom.

If it still comes up as secure then you need to read the manual to find out what the default key is.

And please don't rely on your neighbour's connection either, its akin to going round his house and using his computer.

Ehsan

Ehsan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
ok ive managed to reset the wireless but now a different problem.

When configuring my details on the http://192.168.11.1/ config address, ive used the cables IP, subnet, default gateway DNS Server addresses. No luck.

Ive tried using the details found for the router ( again ip subnet etc.) i get the error message : invalid WAN Ip address. The ip address existing LAN ip address segment cant be used

What do i do :tazz:
===============================================================

edit: Ive managed to get connection to my laptop, its detected it fine, connected fine.

On the pc: in "network connections" i have 2 local area connections, one for the cable one for ethernet adapter. ( Router connects WAN to broadband > Eth adapter connects to LAN on router and direct to pc tower usb port)

On laptop: Buffalo series network is now there in "My network places" > Connection is excellent > cant access internet sites.

I can only access the config page http://192.168.11.1/ from the laptop. I dont know where to find the info for IP, subnet, default gateway DNS Server addresses EXCEPT from the cable connection itself.

Wont connect even with that being used! Do i need to reset the PC's ip or what

Edited by Ehsan, 08 December 2005 - 11:34 AM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
Normally you only need to feed the router with your ISP username and password, as well as tell it which type of connection (PPPoA) it needs to use. It then gets an IP, gateway, DNS, etc from your ISP.

Then you just tell Windows to get its IP and DNS addresses from the router. Unless you've got a router with a known issue with the Windows default settings, you shouldn't need to do anything else with Windows.

Edited by Neil Jones, 08 December 2005 - 03:36 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
Hang on, I've just read your original post again. You're on NTL. You may have the wrong type of router.

Is it NTL as in NTL the phone company OR NTL as in NTL the ISP?