Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Deleted Applications / Sound GONE!

• Please log in to reply

eacord

eacord

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Okay, I've browsed all the other posts on sound, and I think this is a different issue. My system is a 3.2 gHz PIV with 512 MB RAM, on a Abit IC7-G motherboard. Intel Realtek '97 sound. Its worked fine for over a year. I deleted some old apps that I don't use any more, including some old versions of Java. My drivers are all present. The cable is connected to the right port. The speakers work when I connect them to a Sony Discman. The only other thing I did was to remove a wireless card because I needed it in a different computer. The card is working fine the in the other machine. I didn't notice the problem until someone else in the family used the machine. Any ideas?

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi eacord! Welcome to G2G!

Please right-click MY COMPUTER, select PROPERTIES, click on the HARDWARE tab and then the DEVICE MANAGER button. Are there any items listed that have yellow exclamation/question marks next to them? If so, list them here.

Fenor

eacord

eacord

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes, RAID controller. It's been there since I built this box (July 2004) because I never installed the SATA/RAID drivers. So I really doubt that could be a problem.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Of course the RAID CONTROLLER wouldn't be causing this problem. :tazz:

Go into the CONTROL PANEL and double click SOUND & AUDIO DEVICES. Click on the AUDIO tab and tell me what is listed as the DEFAULT DEVICE under the SYSTEM PLAYBACK heading.

Fenor

eacord

eacord

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Okay, I did a Windows 2000 interpretation. You wanted Control Panel/Sound and Multimedia Properties/Audio Tab: The sound playback preferred device is Realtek AC 97 Audio.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Should be working. Are you positive you don't have anything muted in the VOLUME CONTROL window? Double-click the volume icon in the systray (next to the clock) and see if anything is muted. If nothing is muted, then I suggest that you go back into the CONTROL PANEL and uninstall your sound card and then reboot the computer and let windows reinstall the drivers for you automatically. Then check and see if the sound now works.

If the sound still doesn't work, then maybe you need to reinstall new updated drivers. What is the make & model of your PC if it is a prebuilt computer, like a Dell, etc... If it's not a prebuilt, then please download EVEREST HOME EDITION using the link in my signature and run a full system scan and attach the report (as an ATTACHMENT) to your next reply here and I'll help you find new updated drivers for your sound card.

Fenor

eacord

eacord

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Still no luck. Here's my system report from Everest.

Edited out.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Please edit your previous post and add the Report.htm file as an ATTACHMENT.

Thanks,

Fenor

eacord

eacord

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Sorry about that. Trying to do too many things at once!

Attached Files

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Please remove it from your other post. Just click on the EDIT button below it and choose QUICK EDIT. Highlight the Everest Report text and DELETE it. Then click COMPLETE EDIT.

Fenor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Please go HERE and download the updated sound card driver for your Realtek Audio Driver. Extract the files from the zip file you download and run the SETUP.exe file.

It would also be a good idea to bookmark the link above in case you ever need to download other drivers for your computer.

Fenor